cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you embarrassed by the card you carry?

tag
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

Re: Are you embarrassed by the card you carry?

@daylove wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

any prime card with NO annual fee is a card worth holding up. they are the ones that should be embarrased that they are willing to shell out 450 dollars a year unless the card with af is a benefit to them and not a financial loss. i work part time as a grocery bagger. (have two jobs) i always see those silly platinum amex cards, and i think nothing of them. when i see the non preferred chase saphirre, i am impressed.

Have you ever thouth that the ones who carry those cards don't care about the fee?  I mean the ones who drive Ferraris do not care if a gallon of gas is $4 0r $20..it only matters to those who can't afford it

You're on to the right idea. They probably don't pay the fee or the charges -- they were probably all business expenses (no matter what the purpose of this dinner was). Smiley Wink

Message 41 of 48
Smarter
Regular Contributor

The only time I was embarrassed was paying with my Hooters card in a very crowded line and being high-fived by the young male cashier. I am a 50 year old female...he held it up for everybody to see. Felt a little dumb...Smiley Happy
Message 42 of 48
TheBronxBomber
Regular Contributor

Smarter, what exactly are you doing with a Hooters card? :-) Funny story.

Current myFICO Scores:03/08/12 EQ: 801 • TU: 801 • Bank of America TU FICO: 822 • Credit Karma Vantage: 873

My Wallet: Amex Business Platinum | Amex SPG (5k) | Amex Delta Reserve (33k) | Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard (26k) | Chase Mileage Club Visa Signature (15k)
Sock Drawer: Barclay Ring MasterCard (10k) | Discover More (6.5k) | CapitalOne VentureOne (4.5k) | Macy's | Amex Platinum Personal
Message 43 of 48
castlefox
Regular Contributor

Im not embarrassed by any card that I carry. 

Im kinda embarrassed when my friend that is a couple years younger than me.   A year out of college has a total  CL of 20,000 and I have a CL of 2,400

MyFICO score- Equifax - 12.03.11 - 780 Experian 12.03.11 - 763
(FAKO Scores) EXP PLUS Score Dec 2011. 748
Advanced Risk Score 2.0 (NextGen) 793 Dec 2010
Vantage Score (2011) MAR = 771 Jun = 771 Sept= 788 Dec= 773
2012 MAR = 782 JUN=783 Dec = 789
2013 Mar-796 Jun-799 Dec- 797
Message 44 of 48
Smarter
Regular Contributor

Well, I applied for it back when I first started working on my credit. I read on this board that it was an easier card to get--at least at the time. My daughters won't let me pay with it if they are with me lol. I have better cards now, so I really don't use it much anymore. It really was embarrassing!
Message 45 of 48
doublespaces
Frequent Contributor

Spoken with wisdom. Cash is THE trump card of all cards.

Starting: EQ: 490 TU: ??? EX: ???
Current: EQ: 717 TU: 757 EX: 736 (lender)
Goal: 800+
=============
Amex: Zync, Gold Delta
Discover More
Chase Slate
Discover More
Message 46 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@scottwagnon wrote:

@ArisGreek wrote:

Haha, a nice fat $100 bill or a few of them. Shows you can pay now and not later too Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

And yes, why didn't Mr. Centurion fit the bill Smiley Wink What's a $500 dinner to someone that has to spend $175k a year Smiley Wink

no kidding. if the guy wants to carry a black amex and spend 2500 dollars a year just to hold a card, he should also be generous enough to flip the bill. centurion amex has an expectation of high expenses. if daddy wants to carry his certified daddyspender card, he need to live up to this expectation and pay for dinner of 20. and no i am not being fecisous either.

This mentality pretty much sums up the problems of the US. Sense of entitlement for something that isn't yours.

Message 47 of 48
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

@ArisGreek wrote:

Haha, a nice fat $100 bill or a few of them. Shows you can pay now and not later too Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

And yes, why didn't Mr. Centurion fit the bill Smiley Wink What's a $500 dinner to someone that has to spend $175k a year Smiley Wink

no kidding. if the guy wants to carry a black amex and spend 2500 dollars a year just to hold a card, he should also be generous enough to flip the bill. centurion amex has an expectation of high expenses. if daddy wants to carry his certified daddyspender card, he need to live up to this expectation and pay for dinner of 20. and no i am not being fecisous either.

This mentality pretty much sums up the problems of the US. Sense of entitlement for something that isn't yours.

@Anonymous wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

@ArisGreek wrote:

+1

Guys and girls night out is always Dutch -- period. The only exception is when taking someone out to celebrate a momentous occasion (i.e. birthday, etc.), in which case the friends may split the tab for the celebrating friend. There should be no expectation of this, unless it is customary among the group.

Business dinners should always be paid for by the inviting party, unless the business the invitee works for has rules that preclude accepting the dinner (in which case the dinner becomes Dutch).

If someone is generous to pickup a check on their own according during a Dutch outing, a sincere thanks is required. However, no expectations should ever be made about someone picking up a check -- unless the inviter tells the invitee that during the invitation (for example, I call my buddy and ask if he wants to go to a steakhouse for dinner. He says he can't afford it, and I say "Don't worry about it, it's on me".).

Message 48 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.