Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you getting 0% Interest BT mailers?

tag
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Are you getting 0% Interest BT mailers?

@frugal47374 wrote:

No 0% offers, but I don't have PenFed.

If someone gives me a 0% offer and says I will lose by grace period, I'm OK with stopping making purchases with their card.  It seems like a perverse disincentive, but their choice.

Before I ever initiate a BT offer, I ensure that my balance is zero.  Then, I basically SD that card until I pay off the offer.  This tactic makes things a lot easier.  In fact, I pay the transfer fee plus $1 more than the transfer fee ASAP so that my remaining balance will be at 0% for the term.   

Message 11 of 31
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Usually if I have a Bt, it's the only transaction on the card.... 

there are exceptions....

There are ways to get a zero on new purchases while having a bt offer on the same card...

(Miss Disco) ..meaning the card is still usable, but do pay these off in full out of habit (meaning paying off new purchases added to the card) 

Supposedly with a cap one card there's a way to use the card and not get socked on new purchases even with an ongoing bt... but do not have experience with this... just recall someone mentioning this in the past..other than that, a bt=sock drawer 

-j 

Message 12 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance Transfers offered: Discover at 0% and FNBO at 6.99%

Chase removed the BT option from my accounts May 2020, Citi withdrew BTs back in 2014 and Barclay's Ring removed BTs in April 2020 so I closed the account in May 2020.

Message 13 of 31
Mnk1
New Contributor

I quite getting them from from Citi around March, but I just started getting offers in my Citi app for my DC card for 0% interest until July 2021. I think I got an offer in my WF app for my Propel too.

Message 14 of 31
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

The only BT offers I've received in the last 6 months are from FNBO. They're offering a 6.99% balance transfer "fixed for life" if used by October 31, 2020. All other offers have dried up completely. Bank of America used to send me an offer once a week, same for Barclaycard (Jetblue) and Citi (American Airlines Advantage and Shop Your Way MC). My guess is that CC issuers are waiting for the economy to rebound a little more before they get back to business as usual. 

Message 15 of 31
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Nope, only mailers I have seen in last 6 months are from FNBO offering 6.9% fixed rate for life of loan with no fees associated with the offer.

Message 16 of 31
sxa001
Valued Contributor

CapitalOne and NASA FCU used to send me BT checks on a pretty regular basis, I took advantage of a single CapitalOne offer a few years ago for 0% for 12 months but I guess I haven't used enough of their offers to bother marketing to me. 

Message 17 of 31
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Ardecko wrote:

Oh good grief... It's way too early to start holiday stuff. I mean, it's still March, isn't it?

Anyway... By interest clause, I meant the notice on the offer that if I accepted and used the checks, I would lose my grace period on any other new charges placed on the card.

@Ardecko 

Oh ok I get it. Yes I only utilize BT offers when my card is at zero and that account is strictly for BTs. I never use a card for purchases while utilizing a BT deal.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 18 of 31
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Up until several months ago, I could have wallpapered a room or two a year with the BT checks that BOA, Citi, and Chase were sending me. Nothing at all the last few months. Luckily for me my BT days should be behind me now with all unsecured debt gone by Feb.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 19 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ Yeah, I know what you mean! lol  

It's kind of nice only getting Disco mailers every quarter now, instead of on a weakly basis from several Lenders.

Maybe they're starting to slowly open up the gates again?

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.