Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arrgghh I apparently have a Cap1 Card!

tag
KatherineLee
Valued Member

Arrgghh I apparently have a Cap1 Card!

Realized today when I spent 40 minutes on the phone with Kohls Charge Card customer service that I have a Cap1 card. Didn't know it - and ain't happy to know it.

The reason I was on calling customer service was to argue that the returned check fee I was charged to my account should be removed.  Apparently Kohl's is incapable of pulling funds from my US Bank account despite having correct routing and checking account #.  Oh, and yes, I do have funds in my account.  Not A LOT - but I think $1,000 should be enough to cover the $150ish payment I made towards my Kohl's account. 

I received an email confirmation of my payment. Confirmation # and all. 

Checked online to make another payment a week after because I made more purchases, and saw the payment was applied, and then a day later, was added back as an "adjusted payment".  With a return check fee.

I obviously wasn't pleased.  I am not sure how PayPal frequently can use this same routing and account # information to pull from my checking account with no problems, but Kohl's seems to have a problem - AND they don't inform me of it.  I thought the email confirmation was enough.  If it "bounced" or didn't work - shouldn't they maybe inform me of that? 

The customer service clerk told me I should talk to my bank about the issue.  What is US Bank going to do about this?  Isn't a routing and account # enough? Is there some sort of mytical number Kohl's needs still that Paypal doesn't?

I am obviously irrate.  Annoyed.  Waste of 40 minutes of my time to convince the customer service clerk that I refused to pay it and they should forgive it.

It's been forgiven, but I am going to cancel that card tonight and shred it.  What a ridiculous mess that system is.  I need to cleanse my wallet of that filth.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Arrgghh I apparently have a Cap1 Card!

If its capital one, contact them via facebook if you have facebook, they should be able to get someone in EO right on that

Message 2 of 7
KatherineLee
Valued Member

Thanks for the tip. 

I did that. 

We'll see if anyone responds.   If they don't - well, my opinion of Cap1 and Kohl's will stand.  

Message 3 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would use your USBank Bill pay to send the payment TO Kohls so no issue of Kohls and rather they can pull it.

Message 4 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

I would use your USBank Bill pay to send the payment TO Kohls so no issue of Kohls and rather they can pull it.

+1

Alternatively, delete all the (US Bank) payee information from your Kohl's online account, and then verify & reload/input the information again.

Message 5 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

The Kohls card is issued by Cap-1 but Kohls has retained the right to open, close and issue the limits in the portfolio, Cap-1 only provides the financing and has no say in whether or not you get a card and what its CL will be.

Message 6 of 7
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

The Kohls card is issued by Cap-1 but Kohls has retained the right to open, close and issue the limits in the portfolio, Cap-1 only provides the financing and has no say in whether or not you get a card and what its CL will be.

Since Kohl's is not a bank, it would seem weird to me for them to be taking on the risk management function of that portfolio.  A quick Google search seems to confirm my suspicion, as this article states that Capital One (who owns the assets of the portfolio) is managing the underwriting. So if you have other sources, gdale6, please cite them. 

http://www.paymentssource.com/news/kohls-outsource-credit-processing-first-data-3004761-1.html

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.