Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask the lender to Match the limits ?

tag
danielodonoll
New Contributor

Ask the lender to Match the limits ?

I have a credit card with 20k from a diffrent lender and applied for a new card with citi and approved with 10k

If i call would it be a legitimet request to ask the lender to match the other card wich the limit is 20k ?

I know they dont have to match it but would they be able to help me ?   If i could get an advice here.Thank you

fico 751

utl2%

aaoa 6yrs

income over 155k

Citi Bank X2/ 29k-USAA Amex/Mastercard 24k-PP Mastercard 20k_
WMDiscover 20k-PenFed X2/15k
Current Fico/EQ-765
Garden Time Day- 10
Remaining Days-170
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: Ask the lender to Match the limits ?

@danielodonoll wrote:

I have a credit card with 20k from a diffrent lender and applied for a new card with citi and approved with 10k

If i call would it be a legitimet request to ask the lender to match the other card wich the limit is 20k ?

I know they dont have to match it but would they be able to help me ?   If i could get an advice here.Thank you

fico 751

utl2%

aaoa 6yrs

income over 155k

Yes it never hurts to ask, sometimes they will want to do a second hard pull so just decide if you're ok with that or not before you call them.  If you're not make sure you let them know up front if you don't want a HP.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 2 of 9
danielodonoll
New Contributor

I dont think it would make sense to make second hp for it since they would still be able to view the first pull at least i would think so

Current Fico/EQ-765
Garden Time Day- 10
Remaining Days-170
Message 3 of 9
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

I agree but a lot of companies require a hard pull to get a CLI on activation, Chase is an example of this.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 4 of 9
danielodonoll
New Contributor

It makes sense Ryan. You know what alse it makes sense is having the additional 5 k on the card without having to apply for a new second credit card

So i f i waste 1 inquiry and get additional 5k with the cli that would still beter then opening a new trade line wich would lower the AAOA

Besides if the lenders see 2 inq from the same lender in question that would only count as one inq.Right?

Current Fico/EQ-765
Garden Time Day- 10
Remaining Days-170
Message 5 of 9
Joteism
Regular Contributor

Or they see the two HPs and think that you got denied with the first app and "settled" for something else.

Message 6 of 9
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

I dont have 20K limits but I think that fact actually plays more into my favor then your's since the "match" for the lender is a smaller amount.  Hence the basis for a HP in your situation maybe?  I dunno...but a 20K limit is much larger of a risk then a 2K limit and as such I am wondering if they have a stricter criteria for your level of limits.

This is exactly what I did with Discover and Cap One's EO.  I told them both I wanted the limits to match each other.  Discover actually went 500 more so they would have a better shot at being the Primary in my wife's wallet.

I think it really helps because they can see the limits on your reports and its pretty difficult to defeat the logic which says that the highest limit card is probably going to be the most used.

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 7 of 9
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

What I have done in reagrds to CLI's, but not at activation is just run all my charges through one card the day after the statment cuts and then just before the next statement, PIF, then call them and say I really like the card and benefits but I used it heavily this month and had to pay multiple times this month to keep my UTL below 20%.  It is just not effective to me to use your card if I can't get limits matching my other cards and if I have to pay so frequently.  And if I had to make a large purchase on the card it could not take it.

Beg and plead you love them, show them some love by using, but be sure to tell them this is not a good relationship moving forward if they can't help you help them.

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 8 of 9
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

We have been over this on another thread. It looks like you are not content with a $10,500 starting limit. That's fine, and if you feel jilted by all means ask for an increase. There's not guarantee that newer cards will match or beat your existing lines. You can ask and you will no doubt get another HP and the end result could be for $500 to make it a $11,000 line. Or it could be for $8,000. You just don't know - and you are a new customer. 

My (almost) oldest card is with Bank of America. Current limit $46,000. It was $100,000 before the credit crunch. Most of the newer cards I get now are between $9,500 and $18,000. I don't see anyone jumping at me to match that limit that has been in place or more for over 10 years. In fact I had to recon an B of A card on Monday to get approved for a Virgin Atlantic card, they did not want to give me the card based on excessive HP but I managed to get it for $10,000. Same bank, long history. It's truly a YMMV point. 

You say you need to for travel, hotels I believe. Take the card and spend $10,000 on it first month. Pay it in full before it posts to keep UTL down. Call them the day after the payment posts and discuss an increase. Show them you need more credit by using the card. It's a HP either way. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.