Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At what age......

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

At what age......

would you say you really had your credit together and maintaining if better than before---(I know sometimes probably happened to some that couldnt be prevented like loss of job, divorce, etc...) Just wondering do most got crazy with it have no respect or understanding of it--then wake up and get things right--or is some just born with the gift of credit smarts Smiley Wink

I am 28 filed BK in 2003 was upset when I had to but really it wasnt because of CC debt it was a whole lot of other mess--anyways--I told myself it will be gone and over before I am 35 ..and I will never go it again --and after it I wanted to be nothing but successfull--it has been a ride the past few years since it---really did no apping cause never thought I could get anything--took a hit on a few 30 days late--none in over a year and some change though--and finally 2007 has rolled around and I am at a point I didnt expect so soon but definitely appreciate--bought home in 2003 and a car that I wanted in 2007--with rates I would have never imagined and as for the car it can still go even a little lower--will try that out in 2009 or something---

I know I have a ways to go--one need accounts to gae--second since I have never been able to app without being told DECLINE--gotta grow out of that phase too--however I havent appd no stores that I know I cant benefit from so thats a plus---now if I can one day own an AMEX card I will feel very accomplished---however I feel I am managing it well and proud of myself Smiley Happy..I was telling some friends--its kinda shocking I got all this credit now that i nevfer had and I havent went out splurging unnecessarily or overspending--still saving and all that good stuff--

I guess it was good to get the credit after my young life spending season when I have more responsibilities than back when bills were minimal if even heard of Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: At what age......

51 This year when I graduated DMP and started thinking about every purchase and using a real budget plan
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 50
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Cheer up, I finally figured out what was what around the time of my birthday last October. I'm 53. Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:
Cheer up, I finally figured out what was what around the time of my birthday last October. I'm 53. Smiley Happy

That's definitely going to be me.  I'm so hard-headed.  I know all this stuff about credit...but I can't practice what I preach!
Message 4 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow Marty that makes it even more interesting sounds good to know info is coming from some people who have been around and know a whole lot more than you know--thats definitely called WISDOM to me !!! Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW there is plenty of WISDOM and EXPERIENCE on these forums--I love it!!!
Message 6 of 50
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Wisdom and experience vs slow learners! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 50
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

That's definitely going to be me. I'm so hard-headed. I know all this stuff about credit...but I can't practice what I preach!

Yep, there's knowing, and there's doing. Smiley Tongue
Message 8 of 50
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Everything was going well for me up until about 1996/97/98 (27 years old) then it all hit the fan. It remained ugly for me until 12/2005. Now I know what to do, not what to do and when to do it. I'm never going back to 97/98, never ever, never. 
Message 9 of 50
marty56
Super Contributor

I wish I would have known back in say 1983 what I know now.  The sad thing is that there are people much older then me who are getting into debt.

I dont know if I would have listened back then to someone my age now.

I didnt hit rock bottom but I got real close.

Anyway 2008 at beyond, while the country is getting into more debt, we will try not to.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 10 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.