cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At what score to dump subprime cards?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: At what score to dump subprime cards?

In my estimation, the decision on when to shed the "sub prime" cards should be predicated on cards you have and not on score alone.

For instance, when you have two "no annual" fee cards from any national bank (i.e. Chase, Citi, BofA, Amex Discover, etc...many more) with a CL that accords you enough space to fit your normal spending, then I'd say you're ready to shed your high fee, high interest, no rewards and low limit cards.  Don't even wait until the next annual fee date, just purge them asap. 

Your credit file will look much more appealing to the potential lenders without the toy limit First Premier ilk on your CR. 

PS - It remains on your report, but on manual review "closed at consumer's request" will at least imply to a manually reviewer you're making progress on your rebuilding process.

Message 11 of 23
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

In my estimation, the decision on when to shed the "sub prime" cards should be predicated on cards you have and not on score alone.

For instance, when you have two "no annual" fee cards from any national bank (i.e. Chase, Citi, BofA, Amex Discover, etc...many more) with a CL that accords you enough space to fit your normal spending, then I'd say you're ready to shed your high fee, high interest, no rewards and low limit cards.  Don't even wait until the next annual fee date, just purge them asap. 

Your credit file will look much more appealing to the potential lenders without the toy limit First Premier ilk on your CR. 

PS - It remains on your report, but on manual review "closed at consumer's request" will at least imply to a manually reviewer you're making progress on your rebuilding process.

+1 othe. Factors to consider are credit limits on cards that you are going to keep. I wouldn't drop them till your score is high enough for you to drop 15 points and still. Be content. 

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 12 of 23
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

This 100%.  

Scores are only one part of the equation, and by their definition alone a Freedom is throughly sub-prime since we're now seeing approvals at 630 for it, regardless of how good a card it is by any other definition; however, it's only one piece of the approval puzzle when it comes to credit cards.  Ergo, don't factor it on scores, do it on what's in the rest of your credit card portfolio as Open most excellently suggests.

        
Message 13 of 23
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

When you can no longer justify the cost of the cards CL + Rewards. vs its AF

I have a CapOne sub-prime card that has a 2k CL but no AF and 0% BT and 11.9% APR It will continue to live on my report untill they close it. Doesn't matter if its sub-prime or not it has features that make it worth while to keep open. 

On the other hand my CapOne rewards card with its 750 CL + $39 AF is on its last year, it will close it when its AF posts. I kept it this year because I closed two other MC's (best buy reward zone & Sears MC) and didn't want to be without a MC based rewards card. The empty slot may make room for a CapOne prime card if I decide to take the tri HP for it. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 14 of 23
compassion101
Established Contributor

Agree with the several posts above. Base your decision to dump sub-prime cards on the cards you have. If you have a good score that you think can attain prime cards, then go get the prime cards and dump the subprimes after that, not vice-versa.

Message 15 of 23
rtw
Established Contributor

Thanks for sharing. This post inspired me to dump my Credit One card. I tried to close it but they agreed to wave my annual fee for the next 6 months. I'll try again in February.

Starting Score: EX: 575 (PSECU 5/2/12) TU: 582 (3/6/12) EQ: 664 (4/27/12)
Current Score: EX: 699 (PSECU 06/04/14) 702 (my FICO 08/05/14) TU: 699 (08/01/14) EQ: 675 (07/08/14)
Goal Score: 720
20K PSECU 7/12 | 12K USAA 9/12 | 11K BOA 1-2-3 9/12 | 9K Citi HHonors 9/12 | 8.5K Citi AAdvantage 5/08 | 5K Chase Sapphire Pref. 9/12 | 3.8K Barclays USAir 7/12 | 6K Walmart Dis. 11/12 | 1K Amex SPG 11/12 | 2K Amex BCP 1/13
Message 16 of 23
Open123
Super Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

I have a CapOne sub-prime card that has a 2k CL but no AF and 0% BT and 11.9% APR It will continue to live on my report untill they close it. Doesn't matter if its sub-prime or not it has features that make it worth while to keep open. 

In my view, this is the very definition of "prime" card.

The terms work for you, no fee, low apr, and the CL accords you enough room for whatever spending you allocate to the card.  To me, that it's CapOne, CapTwo, or CreditOne isn't relevant.

If First Premier came up with a better SPG card, I'd apply for it and cancel Amex. 

PS - It's only relevant when the views of others matter.  In business, sometimes image does matter, but not in one's personal life, at least not in my estimation.

Message 17 of 23
tboy1977
Regular Contributor

That CapOne card is SWEET!!  That is prime.  $2k limit and 11.9% APR.  Nice.  If a card is empty and has no AF, it can't hurt you.............

Starting scores: EQ 420, EX 421, TU 405 (Jan 2011)
Bk Ch 7 Discharged Mar 2011
Current scores: Julty 2019: TU - 655, EX - 619, EQ - 640
FICO Dream Scores: EQ 700+, EX 700+, TU 700+

Credit accounts: 22% APR auto loan (Mar 2017), Secured [Coke (4000), Discover (1000)], Unsecured [CreditOne $1500, Walmart $150, Target $200], World Finance: $1500, Courtesy Finance: $700, Speedy Finance: $1200 (charged-off)
Message 18 of 23
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Got my first prime around 680.  If your sub prime is your highest AAOA keep it mine has an AF going to see if they will wave it next time if not I will drop it.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HenryJumbo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I've seen some FICO scores not much higher than mine with prime cards, but have also seen 700s not able to get prime cards..so at what score level is it realistic to close rebuilders/builders?

If your score is really around 610 as indicated in your sig I don't know if that's primeville.

I don't really care if we're in "primeville" right now - I have no intention of doing anything with my/our credit cards for at least 9-12 months, so they can just peacefully garden until then. Simply curious, since I've seen several different numbers thrown around like 640, 680, 720, 780 and so on.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.