Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Au on Amex but no Ss#

tag
Jccflat
Established Contributor

Au on Amex but no Ss#

Can someone be added to to be a authorized user on the AMEX card If he or she has no Social Security card number ?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

Re: Au on Amex but no Ss#

Yes
You call them once you receive the card and give them the person's passport number.
I've done it 4 times
Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 2 of 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I think they can be added but it will be required at some point, so not really 

I'm not 100% sure 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jccflat wrote:
Can someone be added to to be a authorized user on the AMEX card If he or she has no Social Security card number ?

Yes, but the card will be cancelled if the authorized user's SSN is not provided to Amex within 60 days. 

Here's the screenshot of the form used to add an authorized user; it requires date of birth and SSN within 60 days.

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 11.39.04 AM.png

Message 4 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I believe American Express will accept ITIN in lieu of SSN, but certainly one or other will be required within the 60 days.

Edit: And upon further review, MrCreditInternational is correct that passport numbers may be used as well to verify identity for AUs.  That does require a call rather than inputting the information online, and they may ask for a photocopy of the passport.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.