Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Authorized User

Hi, Credit Card folks - I haven't posted in this section but read faithfully.  I appreciate all the good advice, especially learning that good credit can somehow, slowly, outweigh the bad.

My dad just put me on his VISA from the Credit Union that has no balance and he has had for years as an authorized user.  I don't know the limit but am assuming it's pretty high since he has an 800+ credit score.

He did check and they do report to my credit reports.

After all that minutia,  How Long Until It Hits My Reports do you think?  He thinks the statement comes out the first part of the month.  Will I have to wait for the statement for them to report me?

thanks in advance.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Authorized User

@Booner72 wrote:

Hi, Credit Card folks - I haven't posted in this section but read faithfully.  I appreciate all the good advice, especially learning that good credit can somehow, slowly, outweigh the bad.

My dad just put me on his VISA from the Credit Union that has no balance and he has had for years as an authorized user.  I don't know the limit but am assuming it's pretty high since he has an 800+ credit score.

He did check and they do report to my credit reports.

After all that minutia,  How Long Until It Hits My Reports do you think?  He thinks the statement comes out the first part of the month.  Will I have to wait for the statement for them to report me?

thanks in advance.

Probably.  Smiley Very Happy

And be sure to factor in the usual delay in posting. EX will (probably) update that night, and EQ and TU will (probably) each take anywhere from 3 days to a week.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Thanks HTSU!

So do I have to change my address on my credit reports to get this account info on my cr's?  Other posts say something about this.

Message 3 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It seems awfully variable. I'd give it two weeks or so after the statement drops to see if it's showing up. If not, then you might have to do this.

But if you don't have to change the address, it would certainly keep your life simpler.

My Equifax report keeps flipping my address back and forth. It hasn't caused any problems, but it's kinda annoying.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 6
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I realized DUH~!  My maiden name is the same as my dad's, right on the credit reports.  That should suffice, eh?  I had to call the credit union today about other matters and asked when they reported.  She said any day now it will report, and also checked and made sure I'm signed up as an AU.  I'm so excited I could pee!  I know AU is controversial, but if it means getting my boys a house, then I'm all for it.  Which is probably why my dad agreed to it.  He's very conservative and wouldn't risk his healthy 800 for anything (except maybe his grandsonSmiley Happy).

Message 5 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Smiley Very Happy

You're right, the name should be enough. If not, you can deal with it then.

And reassure your dad that as long as you don't use (or misuse) the card, this will have no effect on his scores. Smiley Wink Don't even get a physical copy of the card --it's a lot easier that way! I hope this helps you get your home.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.