Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user vs Savings account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized user vs Savings account?

my goal is to get approved for my first chase card. Data points : 3 inquiries, no late payments, no derogatory accounts, oldest credit card is from navy fed 2015. 700 Fico experian. Currently 3/24 as far as new cards. My question is do you think opening up savings account with chase is better to build a relationship or getting added as an AU on one of their cards? Thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

Re: Authorized user vs Savings account?

It's not a guarantee, but it won't hurt. Once you get "in the system", there is a section of their website/mobile app that will screen you for pre-approved cards over time.

Also, having an online account with Chase will typically smooth the identity verification process when you apply for the credit card.

Message 2 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Neither is going to help you.

AU status has no bearing on future applications, and you're just adding one more account to 5/24 countdown. 

Opening savings won't do you any good, either. It's kinda hard to impress an entity with 3.86 trillion in assets. 

A better approach would be to work on your own credit, and when the time is right, apply. 

Message 3 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Better approval with AUs or savings account

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you guys think becoming an AU on a chase card or opening a chase savings account well help me start a better relationship with them? Only have navy fed and cap 1 cards

23% uti

700 exp

no lates, no derrogortory 

3/24

3 inquiries 

Becoming an AU will have not make your chances any better. Have you tried their prequalified page this may give you an idea?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Better approval with AUs or savings account

@Jnbmom  I opted out of prescreen offers and froze third party agencies such ass Lexus nexus, sagestream, inovis a while back i guess I have to opt in and in and unfreeze  

Message 5 of 10
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

AU status has no bearing on future applications, and you're just adding one more account to 5/24 countdown. 

Opening savings won't do you any good, either. It's kinda hard to impress an entity with 3.86 trillion in assets. 

A better approach would be to work on your own credit, and when the time is right, apply. 

+ 100 ^^^

I am "one of you" and "agree with you".

Message 6 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Kforce wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

+ 100 ^^^

I am "one of you" and "agree with you".

😂

It's okay if you modify it to "almost one of you" 

Message 7 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous  please avoid creating multiple threads on the same topic, it gets very confusing after they are merged. 

This is the proper place for your thread 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Credit12Fico wrote:

It's not a guarantee, but it won't hurt. Once you get "in the system", there is a section of their website/mobile app that will screen you for pre-approved cards over time.

Also, having an online account with Chase will typically smooth the identity verification process when you apply for the credit card.

Oh this is so good to know for future reference! TY 🙏🏻

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

As previously mentioned the only thing this does is allow you access to possible pre-screened or pre-approval offers, which can be helpful verus just getting a mail offer that strictly marketing. 

As long as your profile is in good shape a person can cold app Chase with good results, just be sure to be under their magic number. 

I think the better question would be what does your profile look like aside from the basic data already provided, such as utlization and how many other accounts. Chase can be selective concerning thin files 

Other than that depending on the card you're after 700 Fico score is withing reasonable acceptance although it might be better to increase it to 725 to boost your chances. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.