Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized users - Reporting??

tag
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

Authorized users - Reporting??

Does anyone know if Exxon Mobil reports an authorized user on my account to the credit agencies? I am trying to help my GF's credit rating by adding her as an authorized user. I also have accounts with Kohls, Capital One, Chase, and Discover.

What companies will report them to the credit agencies? If anyone knows a company that does, PLEASE POST!

Thank you!!!!

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized users - Reporting??

I have a Chase, HSBC, Citicard, PenFed, and GEMB card. All of them are reporting my wife as an Authorized User except PenFed, which is weird since the PenFed one is the only one who asked for her SSN when adding her.
Message 2 of 13
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@gymbo731 wrote:

Does anyone know if Exxon Mobil reports an authorized user on my account to the credit agencies? I am trying to help my GF's credit rating by adding her as an authorized user. I also have accounts with Kohls, Capital One, Chase, and Discover.

What companies will report them to the credit agencies? If anyone knows a company that does, PLEASE POST!

Thank you!!!!

Our Chase and Discover cards report authorized users. Others we have that report AUs are: Sears Citi, National City (now PNC), AmEx, and PenFed.

Message 3 of 13
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

So I went to log into my discover account and add an authorized user, but they aren't asking for a SSN. How are they suppose to report it the user to the credit agencies? I dont get it, can someone explain?  They don't ask for an address or any other form of ID. There are lots of people with the same name.

Message 4 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I've been an AU on my husband's Discover card, and they never asked for my SSN. The more things that match (last name, address, past addresses, etc.), the easier it is for the credit bureaus to report the card.

If you pretty much have no family or address ties to your AU, there might be some difficulty. Next month, after your statement drops, have your AU pull his/her reports and see if the card shows up.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 13
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

hmmm thats interesting....

Well my gf and I live in seperate houses, but the same town. I have no idea how they could possibly track her down. Maybe it is a lost cause?

Main reason for this is so we can purchase a house together. I don't make enough, and need her on the mortage, but her credit score....well.....sucks!!

Message 6 of 13
-RED
Regular Contributor

Thats easy, just have her start using your address as her own. DONE!
-800 or Bust...!
Message 7 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

gymbo731 wrote:

hmmm thats interesting....

Well my gf and I live in seperate houses, but the same town. I have no idea how they could possibly track her down. Maybe it is a lost cause?

Main reason for this is so we can purchase a house together. I don't make enough, and need her on the mortage, but her credit score....well.....sucks!!

They may manage to get her on anyway. There are some slightly scary resources available to the CRA's to determine whether there is a real link between card holder and AU, so it can still wind up showing up. Maybe the same town will be enough to do it! It will help if her name isn't Jane Doe or Mary Smith, too.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 13
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

@-RED wrote:

How would I change that? What Credit agency does Discover use? I would prolly have to get a copy of her CR, and make a dispute with her address and get that changed. I don't know how that might work though bc her drivers license will state a different address.

I will just add her as an AU and see what happens first. If they can find her, thats great, if not, then maybe i'll try to change the address. We might just have to wait a while to buy a buy. I really don't want to miss out on that $8,000 though.

Side question  -  What should your credit score be to even get approved for a mortage?

Message 9 of 13
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@gymbo731 wrote:

@-RED wrote:

How would I change that? What Credit agency does Discover use? I would prolly have to get a copy of her CR, and make a dispute with her address and get that changed. I don't know how that might work though bc her drivers license will state a different address.

I will just add her as an AU and see what happens first. If they can find her, thats great, if not, then maybe i'll try to change the address. We might just have to wait a while to buy a buy. I really don't want to miss out on that $8,000 though.

Side question  -  What should your credit score be to even get approved for a mortage?

Do some reading in the Mortgage forum. Lenders vary...but many people have been told that their middle score of their 3 credit scores must be 620. If yo are both going to be on the mortgage, then that goes for both of you.

I wanted my daughter added as an AU on an old Sears Citi card that we have. I realized that when my husband called to add her, they didn't ask her SS#. My daughter has a different last name and lives at a different address, so I didn't see how in the world they would know to report for her. I simply called them back and gave them her SS#. They took it.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.