Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Discover CLI!

tag
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

Auto Discover CLI!

Just checked my online account and noticed an auto CLI from $3750 to $4000. I also called in and noticed the option for a CLI over the phone, which I tried, but was told I would have to be transferred to a CSR as more information would be needed. CSR turned me down and told me to wait until the end of October before trying another over-the-phone CLI as it would give me a full 6 months after my last CLI request.

First time I've gotten an unrequested CLI from Discover. I'll wait until my October statement cuts, call in and see if the CLI option is still there. It would be awesome if I could get two CLIs from them in one month.

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
plasticguy
Established Contributor

Re: Auto Discover CLI!

Smiley Happy Congrats on your increase. I wouldn't hold out for two in a month, their max is 16K. I recall getting my non requested CLI after the account was open for 6 months.
Message 2 of 31
shyboy
Frequent Contributor

How did you maintain the card. Example did you show a lot of usage, close to maxing it out, never carry a balance, etc?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Getting back in the credit game after major setbacks
Message 3 of 31
plasticguy
Established Contributor

If the question is directed to me, I have had the card since April 06 and every 6 months I receive a auto of 1500. Currently the card is at the max allowed for CL. My highest balance has been 3800. I seldom charge more than $300 per month. Of course, all of this was before the economy went sour. Apr jumped from 6.74 to 12..99%
Message 4 of 31
Tons_of_Debt
Established Contributor

andy: What are your scores? Baddies?
08/01/2008 - 472 EQ; 523 TU; 454 EX
03/01/2009 - 574 EQ
08/08/2009 - 648 EQ
01/27/2010 - 671 EQ
07/04/2010 - 713 EQ
01/05/2011 - 730 EQ
05/14/16 - 762 EX
Message 5 of 31
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

You're going to need a 700ish FICO and a relatively clean (but not necessarily perfect) CBR to be approved by Discover for one of their cards. Also, Discover is not known for issuing very generous initial CL's. The lower your score or the more blemished you CBR the more likely it is that your app will be redirect to HSBC for consideration for their co-branded Discover card. This card is not a DFS product, does not included the DFS benefits, has an AF and gets the same type of subprime treatment that most other HSBC issued cards do.
Message 6 of 31
GregB
Valued Contributor

In the mail today, a letter doing a CLI from $10K to $15K. I did not request an increase.

Opened 11/2007 according to CRAs but first statement I have is dated 1/2008. Used anywhere from $0 to $2,000 per month, mostly PIFed but sometimes paid only a very small payment - always more than minimum, of course.

Unusual payment pattern is that I have not used it for 3 months and then last month made two charges, one tiny and the other about $6K. Payment is scheduled to PIF 10/22. Do they know that since that is a week from today?

I just received a RJ notice from them increasing rate to 18% approx.

Message 7 of 31
shyboy
Frequent Contributor

Does anyone know if this can be done to the student discover card also. I've had the card for two months now and was wondering if i should request a CLI after the 6th statement cuts?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Getting back in the credit game after major setbacks
Message 8 of 31
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

@Tons_of_Debt wrote:
andy: What are your scores? Baddies?

I checked my scores last month. TU 749, EQ 733, and EX FAKO PLUS Score of 737 (EX VantageScore 831) - no baddies, just short history of 3 years. Though they are probably slightly lower now since I just opened up a new Visa Cash CC with PenFed.

@shyboy wrote:
How did you maintain the card. Example did you show a lot of usage, close to maxing it out, never carry a balance, etc?

If this question was directed at me: I really only use the card whenever the 5% More categories roll around and I can make use of them, including the occasional one month promotions I get in the mail. Otherwise, I'll spend $10 every other month just to keep it active. The card gets the heaviest usage during the October-December period as I use it quite a bit for the 5% cashback on groceries. The card has always been PIF and probably never exceeds 5% utilization.

@shyboy wrote:
Does anyone know if this can be done to the student discover card also. I've had the card for two months now and was wondering if i should request a CLI after the 6th statement cuts?

When I was initially approved for this card, my application was changed to the student card version since I informed the CSR I spoke with that I was still a student. I'm not sure if there are any real distinctions between the student and non-student version as far as max limit or frequency of CLIs.

As far as initial CLIs go, I did not get mine until my eighth statement cut. The CLI was from $1000 to $1750.

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Message 9 of 31
tracynva
Established Member

Maybe Discover is relaxing their requirements a bit.  I just applied for and received a Discover More card with a $1K CL with a 6mo intro APR of 3.99%.  They did a hard inquiry.  I have "fair" credit that I have been working to improve.  My scores from myfico are TU: 645 and EQ: 631.  I have 2 90 day lates from 3/08 and 2 unpaid collections from 3 yrs ago that I am trying to negotiate with the CA for a PFD.

Starting Score (6/9/09): TU 610 | EQ 600
Current Score (04/12/2016): TU 820 | EQ 816
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.