Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average Age of Accounts and Applying for a Third Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Average Age of Accounts and Applying for a Third Card

Hello. First time poster here. Great stuff on this board.

Until this month, I had one credit account open--Discover IT. No loans, no other debt, no baddies. But currently a 1 year and 8 month history with a 6k CL.

At the beginning of this month I applied for the BCE and received a 3.5K SL, and upon activation got it raised to 7k thanks to the tips on this board. This card has not reported yet.

I would like to also apply for the Citi Double Cash. However, I've seen data points on here and other forums that Citi will not take you with less than one year credit history.

My question is, becasue my BCE has not reported (but is activated and I'm using it), do I still have 1.8 year credit history in the eyes of Citi or has my account already taken the hit length wise due to opening a new card? Also, what would my AAoA be with the 1.8 year Discover and one month BCE?

I have two inquiries on my Equifax, both over one year old with the Discover inquiry dropping off in July '16.

Credit scores are great across the board, think 760+ for Trans and Experian and credit karma tells me my FAKO for Equifax is 728, but hasn't updated in months. Utilization is below 10%.

Overall question is, do you think it's safe to apply for CitiDoubleCash now or should I wait for my Discover IT to hit a two year history--as I assume my BCE is splitting that length in half?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Average Age of Accounts and Applying for a Third Card

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello. First time poster here. Great stuff on this board.

Until this month, I had one credit account open--Discover IT. No loans, no other debt, no baddies. But currently a 1 year and 8 month history with a 6k CL.

At the beginning of this month I applied for the BCE and received a 3.5K SL, and upon activation got it raised to 7k thanks to the tips on this board. This card has not reported yet.

I would like to also apply for the Citi Double Cash. However, I've seen data points on here and other forums that Citi will not take you with less than one year credit history.

My question is, becasue my BCE has not reported (but is activated and I'm using it), do I still have 1.8 year credit history in the eyes of Citi or has my account already taken the hit length wise due to opening a new card? Also, what would my AAoA be with the 1.8 year Discover and one month BCE? Yes you do until the account shows up which with Amex can be a month  or 2

I have two inquiries on my Equifax, both over one year old with the Discover inquiry dropping off in July '16.

Credit scores are great across the board, think 760+ for Trans and Experian and credit karma tells me my FAKO for Equifax is 728, but hasn't updated in months. Utilization is below 10%.

Overall question is, do you think it's safe to apply for CitiDoubleCash now or should I wait for my Discover IT to hit a two year history--as I assume my BCE is splitting that length in half?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum 

And I'm pretty sure its not AAoA that Citi likes but over a year of CC history IIRC which you have either way 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That would make sense. I've often wondered how some people on here are able to have a dozen or so cards with a seemingly short AAoA. Thanks.

Message 3 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That would make sense. I've often wondered how some people on here are able to have a dozen or so cards with a seemingly short AAoA. Thanks.

Lol I think for 2 years mine never went over 1.6 (AAoA) on 1 CB

Every 6 months I'd go get 2-4 cards and boom back under a year....

Garden 6 months wash rinse and repeat again 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 12
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

I was approved for my Double cash with only 12 months of history, I also had more inquiries so you should be golden.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 5 of 12
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

While people on this forum do have a habit of going on app sprees, their AAoA is decimated when they are done. It always amazes me how people can celebrate reaching a good score and then destroy it with applying for multiple cards and not even be able to reach the bonus spending requirement. Overall, the goal of having good credit is so that when you apply for credit, you will receive a good rate. However, some people definitely overdo it. 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everybody. I was just approved for the CDC with a 6k SL. Time to hit the garden!

Message 7 of 12
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Congrats! You will find the folks in the thread to be pretty helpful in discouraging any additional apps until you meet your goal. 

Message 8 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everybody. I was just approved for the CDC with a 6k SL. Time to hit the garden!

Yay congrats and welcome to the garden 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 12
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

I knew you would be golden, congrats!

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.