Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aviator Red Retention?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Aviator Red Retention?

What kind of retention offer have you guys gotten on this?  

I've never actually kept one of these things before, but will this time.  Also, just receive an email offer for 15,000 AA miles if I were to spend $500 each month for the next 3 months.  Or, is this the pre-emptive retention offer?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Aviator Red Retention?

Don't Aviator Red cards already have the 10k renewal miles with no minimum spend? Just a few grandfathered ones do? Or that's going away?

Message 2 of 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

15k miles for 1500$ spend is pretty great.

Not ALL aviator red cards have the 10k renewal bonus. Only those who managed to apply on the "preferred members" link got that bonus.
Message 3 of 10
ddemari
Super Contributor

aviator silver wemc card here and all they had for me was this email the other day. thanks for another great year, annual fee is due. thanks! nothing for me and i booked like 8 round trip tickets over the year with that, puhh! 

Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 10.36.40 PM.png

Message 4 of 10
Open123
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
15k miles for 1500$ spend is pretty great.

Not ALL aviator red cards have the 10k renewal bonus. Only those who managed to apply on the "preferred members" link got that bonus.

Right, and a few years before, the older US Airs all had the 10K annual bonus miles.  

However, at the time, it was more efficient to churn the Citi AA/Barclays for the 50K bonus, rather than paying $89 for 10K miles.  Even now, the 50K Citi Business AA is churnable for 50K miles with first year fee waived very 90 days; the consumer one has been reduced a bonus per 18 months.  In either scenario, it's more cost effective to churn them for the 50K miles than pay $89 for a mere 10K, though less convenient.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

All the cards I've gotten so far have had perks/credits/rewards that justify any AFs on an ongoing basis, so my AAoA would keep growing quickly with a closed card.

I doubt I'd jump right into 90-day churning. My business expenses are minimal, anyway. 18-24 months for a consumer card would be very reasonable. I'll pay one AF per 50k miles!

Citi's just been mailing me Diamond Preferred ads, so I hope that's not an indication their prequals think I'm unworthy of something better!

Message 6 of 10
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

All the cards I've gotten so far have had perks/credits/rewards that justify any AFs on an ongoing basis, so my AAoA would keep growing quickly with a closed card.

I doubt I'd jump right into 90-day churning. My business expenses are minimal, anyway. 18-24 months for a consumer card would be very reasonable. I'll pay one AF per 50k miles!

Citi's just been mailing me Diamond Preferred ads, so I hope that's not an indication their prequals think I'm unworthy of something better!

Well, the beauty of Citi is, unlike Barclays, that they waive the fee for the first year!  So, it's essentially a free 50K miles (price of HP new TL) every 18 months.

*Edited*  PS - Obviously, my strategy is to keep the Aviator (10% on bonus redemption and 7,500 discount), and just keep churning the Citi Bus and Consumer AAs until they cry Uncle.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, the beauty of Citi is, unlike Barclays, that they waive the fee for the first year!  So, it's essentially a free 50K miles (price of HP new TL) every 18 months.

*Edited*  PS - Obviously, my strategy is to keep the Aviator (10% on bonus redemption and 7,500 discount), and just keep churning the Citi Bus and Consumer AAs until they cry Uncle.

I forgot Barclaycard liked to charge first-year AFs on cards other than Arrival+.

With Citi, is the trick to close the account after 11.5 or 23.5 months? 12.5 or 24.5?

Message 8 of 10
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I forgot Barclaycard liked to charge first-year AFs on cards other than Arrival+.

With Citi, is the trick to close the account after 11.5 or 23.5 months? 12.5 or 24.5?

For consumer cards, I'd probably close it around 8 - 10 months to ensure (1) the clawback period has elapsed, (2) start the clock ticking on the 18 months for the next one, and (3) avoid the fee.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahh...I didn't realize how different Citi's eligibility rules were from those of Chase.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.