Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoiding AA

tag
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Avoiding AA

As many have seen in my previous post I have 11 new accounts in the span of a few months. Some of the approvals are not what I was looking for. The question is should I close some of those accounts to avoid AA from the accounts that I want. Two cards come to mind that I really dont want, the Barclays Apple card and the BofA Amex the limits dont do anything for me. So what do you gusy think.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Re: Avoiding AA

I'm curious too. From reading I understand that AA isn't as common as people think it is but because you only hear about AA when it happens it seems like it happens more often. From my understanding it seems to happen more with certain banks such as Barclays and Amex and less so with others.

I have opened 8 cards in the past month and I'm also a bit worried myself. To be safe, I charged some items on the cards and PIF within a week. I don't know if that will help avoid the AA, but hope it helps if I do get some limits reduced or worse.

I wish you luck man.

Message 2 of 16
dodgeball
Established Contributor

The only thing that I am worried about is Barclays taking AA, I dont really care about the card and it starting a domino effect for cards that I do want to keep. Im thinking as long as your Utility does not go through the roof we should be fine, but like anything in life its a crapshoot

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 3 of 16
p-
Valued Contributor

dodgeball wrote:   

Hey, sorry to hijack but I noticed the USAA World MC in your sig;  Did you ask for that specifically, or did they upgrade a cash rewards card for you?  As you can see, DW has me as an AU on a Platinum and I'm curious.  

Message 4 of 16
dodgeball
Established Contributor

I apped for the World MC 

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 5 of 16
p-
Valued Contributor

@dodgeball wrote:

I apped for the World MC 

Thanks...  Do you know if USAA ever does PC?

Message 6 of 16
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Im not 100% sure but I think I have read that they do

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 7 of 16
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@dodgeball wrote:

As many have seen in my previous post I have 11 new accounts in the span of a few months. Some of the approvals are not what I was looking for. The question is should I close some of those accounts to avoid AA from the accounts that I want. Two cards come to mind that I really dont want, the Barclays Apple card and the BofA Amex the limits dont do anything for me. So what do you gusy think.

In late 2010/early 2011 I opened a string of accounts and saw no AA from any bank.

The two that you're debating closing are the two that are mostly like to take AA anyway, so I suggest you do nothing and quit worrying.  Smiley Happy

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 8 of 16
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Don't close any! Just be careful and don't let your util creep up! Run your credit like a business!

I think I mentioned AA in your other post. I wasn't trying to scare...just letting you know.

Personally, Ive opened 4-5 accts at once and saw nothing, but I made sure to pif the first 3-6 months!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 16
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I've heard Barclay's is new account sensitive but is Amex that way too?

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.