Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B of A preapproval?

tag
shasta
Regular Contributor

B of A preapproval?

I have been a banking partner with B of A and Chase for many years. I never have preapproved offers from Chase, however, when I was signing out of my account from B of A the other day, it asked me if I wanted to see if I was preapproved for any credit cards offers. It said it would only be a soft pull, so I pulled the trigger.

It came back and said, "b of a cash rewards". Now, it didn't say I was pre-approved, it said this was the card that they had for me.

What does that mean? Is this something that B of A uses to trick people into applying? I have been a loyal customer for 6 years and I was signed into my account when they checked the "offers".

If I am preapproved, it's definitely worth the hard pull. But, I don't want to waste an inquiry if I am pre-qualified.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Re: B of A preapproval?

I think the bofa is for prequalify unless it says your pre approved once you run it thru...if u really want it and can spare the inq, only one way to find out... Smiley Wink

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 2 of 3
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Re: B of A preapproval?

@shasta wrote:

I have been a banking partner with B of A and Chase for many years. I never have preapproved offers from Chase, however, when I was signing out of my account from B of A the other day, it asked me if I wanted to see if I was preapproved for any credit cards offers. It said it would only be a soft pull, so I pulled the trigger.

It came back and said, "b of a cash rewards". Now, it didn't say I was pre-approved, it said this was the card that they had for me.

What does that mean? Is this something that B of A uses to trick people into applying? I have been a loyal customer for 6 years and I was signed into my account when they checked the "offers".

If I am preapproved, it's definitely worth the hard pull. But, I don't want to waste an inquiry if I am pre-qualified.

That's the one they try to hawk to everyone...you need to check for that "you can stop receiving pre-sceened offers" box on the webpage.

BoA usually sends people who are pre-approved mail almost every week. My dad gets one or two on a regular basis actually....

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.