Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BAM! Discover IT sockdrawered!

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: BAM! Discover IT sockdrawered!

Discover is very conservative, aynthing above $2K from them is good. But I know what you mean. My highest CL used to be $1100 but now I consider anything less than 3K low Smiley Happy

Patience though... garden for a while. Auto CLI's do happen with Discover. I did see someone on here with a $30K CL on the IT

Message 11 of 59
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

+1, Because Discover is so conservative you have to show em extra love.  Use card lot, pif, youll get better results.  4k is still a pretty good limit starting out with them. They don't just hand out 10k limits to any1. Nor are they horrible with CLI's like capital one.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 12 of 59
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

As other's said, Discover does not throw out limits like other lenders; looking at General Electric. I don't blame you for not using it anymore, as there is really no reason to use their card over others. I have a 3500 limit and haven't used it since December when they had 5% for online purchases, and before then I only used it once or twice last year. Also, low limits don't hurt unless the low limit cards have high balances.

Message 13 of 59
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I know I'm not going to change the OP's opinion, as his focus on high card limits is well documented. But for those who might read this thread in seeking useful information:

1. Limits have absolutely no impact on FICO scores.

2. Since the primary reason to use the Discover IT (assuming you have access to other rewards cards, which OP does) is for the bonus categories and they are capped at $1500/quarter, there is NO REASON to need a limit higher than 4k to use the card. Even if you exhaust the cap in one month and don't pay prior to statement date, you are talking 1500/4000 on one card. AT MOST, your score might drop a point or two IF you are someone in a bucket where utilization between 5-9% adds to your score. In many buckets, it will make no difference until you hit 80% on one card. If you are REALLY focused on utilization, just pay the balance the day before the statement cuts.

3. This is a classic example of cutting off your nose to spite your face. If you sockdrawer the card because the bonus categories are not useful to you, great. But to forego a useful feature of a card simply because they refuse to match the limit on a bunch of GE cards without a hard pull makes no sense.

4. This board has taken the idea of soft pulls for CLIs well beyond its logical conclusion. A CLI request is a request for credit. Requests for credit can (and should) result in credit inquiries. The fact that some lenders use soft pull reports to make decisions is a nice perk, but not a reasonable expectation. If the CLI isn't worth a hard pull, you don't really need the CLI. And to stop using a card because you didn't get something you don't need defies reason.

5. Maybe, just maybe, the OP's overall available credit is approaching what some lenders are comfortable with. It is just possible that having really high limits on largely useless store cards might (just might!) hurt someone in the long run. Just a thought.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 14 of 59
enharu
Super Contributor

hey young, how much are you putting on the discover card each month?

From what I've read, they're really stingy about CLIs. None of that generous 3x Amex CLI or GE love with Discover Smiley Sad 

Also, they seem more likely to grant auto CLIs when the card is being used quite a bit. Hopefully this is true but it's hard to tell without an good data sample.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 15 of 59
lpayton
Regular Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

I know I'm not going to change the OP's opinion, as his focus on high card limits is well documented. But for those who might read this thread in seeking useful information:

2. Since the primary reason to use the Discover IT (assuming you have access to other rewards cards, which OP does) is for the bonus categories and they are capped at $1500/quarter, there is NO REASON to need a limit higher than 4k to use the card. Even if you exhaust the cap in one month and don't pay prior to statement date, you are talking 1500/4000 on one card. AT MOST, your score might drop a point or two IF you are someone in a bucket where utilization between 5-9% adds to your score. In many buckets, it will make no difference until you hit 80% on one card. If you are REALLY focused on utilization, just pay the balance the day before the statement cuts.

3. This is a classic example of cutting off your nose to spite your face. If you sockdrawer the card because the bonus categories are not useful to you, great. But to forego a useful feature of a card simply because they refuse to match the limit on a bunch of GE cards without a hard pull makes no sense.

4. This board has taken the idea of soft pulls for CLIs well beyond its logical conclusion. A CLI request is a request for credit. Requests for credit can (and should) result in credit inquiries. The fact that some lenders use soft pull reports to make decisions is a nice perk, but not a reasonable expectation. If the CLI isn't worth a hard pull, you don't really need the CLI. And to stop using a card because you didn't get something you don't need defies reason.

5. Maybe, just maybe, the OP's overall available credit is approaching what some lenders are comfortable with. It is just possible that having really high limits on largely useless store cards might (just might!) hurt someone in the long run. Just a thought.

BAZINGA

Message 16 of 59
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

From what I have read if you want possible SP CLI you HAVE to do it online.

It will come back and say yes, counter, or ask to do HP or Call I think it is.

You can't get SP over phone I don't believe but they seem to not all be on the same page, it's the one part of Discover that falls apart to me, is RECON and CLI.

Just like Citi!! The reps all pretty much said no recon, not sure how or who or what gets you in the area that says yes we can recon or can't or how that works though which I dislike not knowing such a thing!

Message 17 of 59
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 18 of 59
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

I agree with everything EXCEPT that INQ count against you by 10% and that because of having 3,4+ "sometimes" gets you flat out denied or put as a risk.

I don't want to harp but as more and more companies try to know everything about someone it's time we had a little update to the system... If you want to take a credit report on me to deliver my $50 Bottle Water each month that is fine, but to then get denied a credit card because I moved last month and Sparkletts, Time Warner, Edision, etc. all pulled credit is BULL!!!!

You don't count that in my score and you don't count that as a risk and have had it!

Message 19 of 59
Ron1
Super Contributor

I have a few Discover Cards from $5K-$14K.  It took me years to get over $10K.  I cannot get any CLI for most of my Discover Card without HP. The CL doesn't bother me. I think $5K is enough for daily use.  Their CSR always treated me nice when I called. 

Ron.

Message 20 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.