Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBR Discontinued New Info

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: BBR Discontinued New Info

@happypill wrote:

Sometimes cards are allowed to stick around indefinitely after they are closed to new applications.  I think some people still have Amex Zync  and Citi Foreward cards and those have been off the market for years.  I'm hoping the BBR sticks around a good long time.  RIP to the Sallie Mae.

Amex doesn't really get rid of cards after they discontiue them. You still have people with the original Clear, the original Blue, and even the Optima (not Oasis) card. Our CEO has an Optima from 1991. 

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@happypill wrote:

Sometimes cards are allowed to stick around indefinitely after they are closed to new applications.  I think some people still have Amex Zync  and Citi Foreward cards and those have been off the market for years.  I'm hoping the BBR sticks around a good long time.  RIP to the Sallie Mae.

Yes, but with the forward the benefits were nerfed.  (i dont think you can still add packs to the zync like you could in the past) If you take a few steps back things really aren't so bad. I mean yes, it looks like some of the fat is being trimmed, but there are still lots of offers/options out there.

If I would not have recently opened the merrill+ in december and the propel in march, I would probably consider going for a single BBR. However I have my eyes on the fifth third trio $350 targeted bonus.  I am not targeted yet but hoping to be!

Still a sad moment to see this card go.  But honestly, $120 a year you can easily obtain from couponing and/or from another bank bonus.  Time for Themanwhocan to find us a replacement!

Message 12 of 21
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

BoA has always been great about allowing people to keep their old varieties of their cards.
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the heads up!

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@happypill wrote:

Amex doesn't really get rid of cards after they discontiue them. You still have people with the original Clear, the original Blue, and even the Optima (not Oasis) card. Our CEO has an Optima from 1991. 

DH still has the Clear.

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the information OP.
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
DH is a CSR suprovisor for BOFA and he just texted what they told the CSRs today about it.

"Beginning may 25th bbr will no longer be offered. The bank americard will also have a new OFFER (not a new card) the new offer will be 0% Apr on transactions and bt's for first 15 months, no bt transfer fee in the first 60 days, no penalty apr. people with the old card will not be changed."

Can you ask if they intend a new card at any time to replace this one?  I'm looking to get back with BOA in the not so distant future, and upon looking at the website last night, was not particularly drawn to anything.  It looks like I missed out on the one card of theirs that folks on here seem to talk about a lot(at least from what Ive noticed)?  Smiley Sad  Any reason why they are ditching an apparently popular card?

Message 17 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

People have been taking advantage of its well advantages and possibly some abusing it, my opinionSmiley Wink I think the card that seems to be replacing it is the one offering 0% Bt fee within 1st 60 days, i believe the 321 card though i could be incorrect. This card is featured on their homepage. I have one , BBR, i love it for its easy BT offers, plus theyve given me a 10k limit, the quarterly bonus is well just an added bonus for me. I dont try to leavve like a couple bucks on it to score the bonus as some do but am glad to have gotten it before it went bye byeSmiley Wink
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing new at this time. The tagline of the BBR was, "pay down your balances faster." Which seems to suggest it was intended as a balance transfer card primarily. They added a new deal to the regular Bankamericard to make it a proper balance transfer card like the Chase Slate. 0% transfer fee in the first 60 days. If they have plans for a new card, they aren't talking about it yet.
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Fluffybubbles, I appreciate that info.  Can you, or AverageJoesCredit or anyone tell me what this alleged "taking advantage" of the card was, and what BBR even stands for? Smiley Happy   I'm kind of bummed I missed out on it if its a card that actually seems useful, as it seems to be?  

I have been waiting a good long time to apply for BOA though, because I IIBed them for a rather hefty sum, although I paid them a large payment for years before finally giving up.  I know it's not your DH's department, but any chance he could find out how long before a person who has IIBed them has to wait to apply for an unsecured(or even secured) card?  I normally dont like asking for favors, but I'd be super grateful if you could find out.  My credit scores range from the 730s to 750s now, so it's the time element I really need to focus on.  Ive tried the prequal online, but just get a recommendation...although I think Ive only gotten preuals on 2 sites ever.

I'm considering starting an IIB getting back in master thread(already mentioned it in another thread), and such information would be invaluable.  I've been searching for it separately for 3 companies for the last week or so, and it's not been very productive for the amount of time spent.  

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.