Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBVA 36 month 9.99% checks

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BBVA 36 month 9.99% checks

BBVA really frustrates me sometimes. They don’t deem me worthy of a CLI but they sent me these checks to get 9.99% for 36 months. 

Curiously though, they start charging you 9.99% when they are processed and I still have 0% promo APR until January which is kind of a rip off. No fee though. 

I suppose for people that don’t have a CU Platinum card with a lower rate, the 36 months is a good deal, but it’s also variable and not fixed rate. 

Has anyone actually used these? I only have a $2K credit limit so it’s definitely useless when I have a lower APR $12,700 Platinum card I can use but I suppose for people who have a large limit, 9.99% V for 36 months is an okay personal loan. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BBVA 36 month 9.99% checks

9.99 variable for a personal loan stinks imo as well.. Granted interest rates won't be going up, but down most likely in the next 6-12 months..  Rather have a fixed rate loan any day of the week at say 11-13%, but I got mine at 5.95% for 36 months and is fixed.  Anyways not a horrid offer compared to some other blood sucker CC's, but nothing I would consider using although some people might find a use for such a BT situation.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah this isn’t something I would use since my NFCU Plat is $12,700 @ 8.24% (should be 7.99% or less soon, I don’t know when they adjust for the prime rate but assuming quarterly it will go down next month) and has no fee BTs year round but I don’t believe it’s possible to BT to your checking. 

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

36 mo's checks is somewhat unique from what I've seen over the years.

Amex has them beat though.

image.png

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

36 mo's checks is somewhat unique from what I've seen over the years.

Amex has them beat though.

image.png

You can't really compare a personal loan with a balance transfer check offer though. BBVA offers personal loans as well and my understanding is they tend to offer extremely good terms on them. 

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe not a direct comparison but, fixed APR and no HP.  Doesn't consume any of your CL either.  No fee's other than interest while you carry a balance.  

Checks are always something to be suspicious about when it comes to banks.  

Either way there's plenty of options.... If I needed more than 25K I could head over to BOA and DD from there as well up to the full CL but, then there's the 3% vig that they want to charge.

Message 6 of 14
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

FNBO has this beat with 6.99% APR for the entire life of the transfer and no BT fee. I will be using it in the near future.

Message 7 of 14
cf2701
Regular Contributor

Yeah, they sent them to me a couple times when I was about 6 months in as a customer.  I got their Clearpoints card a little over a year ago via a mailer invite and they gave me a $16K SL. I was blown away as my EX score at the time was like 660v7.  

I never used the 9.99 checks though and have not been mailed any since. 

BBVA Clearpoints $16,000 | Discover $13,900 | CECU Visa $10,000 | NFCU Go Rewards Visa Sig. $18,500 | NFCU CLOC $15,000 | PayPal CB MC $10,000 | Paypal Credit $10,000 | Card $7,500 | AMX Hilton Honors Ascend $2,000 | Wayfair $23,900 | Sportsmans Guide Visa $12,400 | Kohls $3,000 | Capital One Savor One $3,500 | PNC Cash Rewards $17,000 | PenFed Power Cash Rewards $10,000 | PenFed Gold $10,000 | Lowe's $20,000 | Best Buy Visa $4,000 | Home Depot $4,000 | NFCU Platinum $25,000
Message 8 of 14
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

I like BBVA but often their offers make no sense. My card is 0% until next Aug. and they push the heck out of their BT offer with 4% fee. Why the heck would I pay them 4% when I can just use the card and get 2-3% rewards, let the balance sit until the 0% ends, with funds to pay it off sit in savings earning 2%+?
Message 9 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Wheres my NBA card?
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.