Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBVA Compass NBA no longer taking new apps

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BBVA Compass NBA no longer taking new apps

Some interesting comments in this thread, LOL...
Message 11 of 20
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

AJC. - BBVA is a HUGE global bank.. assets are around 3/4 of a trillion dollars..! They just seem to be generally lost in confusion as far as the US credit card market goes
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably too many technical fouls of unhappy customers inside
Message 13 of 20
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Doesn't look like they offer an Amex card at all now. My biggest gripe with them is no auto pay. Also Amex isn't widely accepted at a lot of mom and pop type stores. The website is badly outdated. I have a reoccurring monthly charge on mine and only use it during the 5% cash back times of the year. They've sure pissed off a lot of folks! Just as Barclays and NASA have..come to think of it. Lol

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

How 'good' was the NBA card anyways? Other than having an awesome picture/logo on the physical card, was it really that useful?
Message 15 of 20
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
How 'good' was the NBA card anyways? Other than having an awesome picture/logo on the physical card, was it really that useful?

During playoffs and all star weekend was unlimited I believe 5% back so some serious spend was going through these cards then and they put holds alot of peoples cards until it was over for "security" and the likes issue then magically after the playoff/all star weekend they would re-instate the cards.  Basically they didn't want to pay 5% back on people that were charing upwards of 20k, etc..  Otherwise not a great card, just nice CL's and good apr's for not the greatest credit profiles.

Message 16 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Thanks fltireguy, appreciate it that info. I was just basing it on that at least where i live there were no branchs of that particular bank that served the cc. Yeah there is a BBVA here but not the one i think you needed to go to to apply.

Realistically i wouldnt even care if it were Amex, could be Visa, could be mc, just would be cool if i had a better opportunity to apply for one. DIscover has NHL, which im no fan off, Barclays has NFL, which is cool but again, i cant get Barclays as they dont service my area. Boa has MLB, though not huge fan could live with a certain team if i ever apply for the cash rewards. Just a pipe dream i guess . Would i apply for the card if the card served no purpose other than cosmetic, nope, learned too much on here to fall for that trap againSmiley Happy
Message 17 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@fltireguy wrote:
AJC. - BBVA is a HUGE global bank.. assets are around 3/4 of a trillion dollars..! They just seem to be generally lost in confusion as far as the US credit card market goes

I agree that BBVA (intl) is huge, but they are distinct from BBVA/Compass... I used to live in their footprint, and they were still referred to locally as 'Compass Bank'.  They are indeed owned by BBVA, but that's about the extent of the connection.

From what I can see Compass Bank (a.k.a. "BBVA/Compass") has changed very little over the last decade.  I had a checking account with them for years, and my service level highly depended on the branch I visited.  The branch near my house was fantastic - never any problems, but the branch by my office was horrendous.  More than once I had to get the people at the branch by my house to 'fix' things that were done by the other branch.  Also note that the issues I had weren't related to my own behavior or "mistakes"... it was all on them.

To give you an idea of my feelings, Wells Fargo is a dream compared to BBVA/Compass. 

I'm sure they work well for many people - obviously they aren't exactly small so they must have some satisfied customers - but I would caution anybody that things can be very much YMMV.  It's as if they are just a bit too large to still have that 'home-town' level of service, but not quite big enough to have big-bank efficiencies. 

Just my 2¢.

Message 18 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, that was the bank part i was thinking of UncleB, thanks. Compass. All in all will be interesting to see what happens with this card.
Message 19 of 20
shmacckk
Regular Contributor

They have one of the worse websites I have ever used for a credit card. I hate logging on to this card to make payments. I really debate at times to close it but I love the NBA and so I keep my Cleveland Cavaliers card just to have it lol.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.