Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBVA Compass Visa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BBVA Compass Visa

Has anyone ever heard of this card? i just got a preaproval in the mail and i have never seen it before. (I work at a hotel and see 80+credit cards a day) The benefits look decent, 0 APR for a year, 1-3X points rewards on selected catagories and no annual fee. Anyone have experience with this card, what kind of CLs they give out, what the reward redemption rates are ect. I already have a few premium cashback cards so i dont really need it but the 0 APR balance transfer was attractive and another CL can never hurt.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: BBVA Compass Visa

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of this card? i just got a preaproval in the mail and i have never seen it before. (I work at a hotel and see 80+credit cards a day) The benefits look decent, 0 APR for a year, 1-3X points rewards on selected catagories and no annual fee. Anyone have experience with this card, what kind of CLs they give out, what the reward redemption rates are ect. I already have a few premium cashback cards so i dont really need it but the 0 APR balance transfer was attractive and another CL can never hurt.

It sounds like you're talking about their ClearPoints Visa Card; if so, I got it back in the fall.

So far my experience has been solid.  I set my 3x category to be 'travel', so it is a de facto 3% travel card for me.  I've used it at off-brand hotels a few times and so far there have been no issues with points posting correctly or using the card.  I had a deposit account with them for years (which I had mixed experiences with) so I was hesitant to get a card with them, but so far things have been fine.

They gave me a credit line of $10k, which for my modest income and existing credit exposure was generous.  The "points" system they use is a little clunky since it's done by a third party - you have to go to a different website to set your categories or redeem the points.  Also, all purchases will earn one point upon posting; any purchases in a 3x or 2x category take an extra day or two for the extra points to be reflected... not really a problem, just something to be aware of.

Redemptions post as a statement credit, or you can use points to cover specific purchases similar to Capital One's 'Purchase Eraser'.  The wallet app can also do this in "real time" when a purchase is made; I've never bothered with it, so I'll have to defer to others on how well it works.  Their 'wallet' app is otherwise OK, providing real-time alerts on purchases (like Capital One and Amex) however it is a separate app... so you end up with two apps on your phone (at least on Android... not sure about iOS).  IMHO it's a little clumsy to have so many moving parts for a credit card and its rewards, but it does work.

The only real complaint I have is that with both of my bank's bill pay systems they have to mail a physical check - there's no ACH push for some reason (I use USAA and Wells Fargo).  This is solved by allowing BBVA/Compass to do an ACH 'pull' - which many people prefer anyway - but they are the only lender I have that if I want to 'push' the payment it is sent as a check. 

One last thought... my card came as a Visa Platinum, even though it has a $10k credit line.  There doesn't seem to be a Signature version available for this product; they appear to reserve 'Signature' for their $125 AF "Select" card.  The plastic card even has the word "Platinum" prominently displayed below the Visa logo on the front (which is missing from the online and print artwork).  It doesn't bother me - I just care about the points - but for someone concerned about aesthetics or having a 'Signature' card this might be important.

Hopefully these data points will help. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Outsource a portion of customer service

Outsourced rewards

No ACH payments into the card (tried with five different bank accounts)

Ran like a subprime card

It’s a turd
Message 3 of 5
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

DW has the Amex version.

Pros:

The Card works just fine and she gets offers periodically both for spend and BT.

They also are aggressive with preapprovals on other products (Loans and LOC)

Cons:

The website and and payment functionalities are just awful

Customer service is down right atrocious! I haven’t once talked to a CSR that was kind in tone. Most are just plain rude. 

Discover or JP Morgan they are not

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I'll pass this one up then and just garden a bit and try for the amex blue cash card I want instead then. I'm not keen on anything that has problems being paid, that's all I need is derogatory because of processing errors.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.