Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBVA Fraud Detection

tag
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

BBVA Fraud Detection

I've just received a fraud detection notification from BBVA while attempting to make an $800 purchase on the Best Buy website, and when I called the number indicated in the message, a recording instructed me to call back during normal business hours. I was planning to use the card for my monthly Costco run this afternoon, but it's locked now, and apparently can't be unlocked until at least Monday.

I tried the Best Buy transaction again, this time with my PenFed Power Cash card, and a verification box popped up and prompted me to enter the code they gave me in a voice call. Boom, done.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BBVA Fraud Detection

If the phone number they provided was not the general card customer service # on the back of your card, you might try giving that a call and see if they can clear the fraud alert and restore your card  

Message 2 of 8
unsungivy
Established Contributor

Ugh. Yeah. Chase locked out my new Ink Cash card for "fraud" all 4th of July weekend. I spent 2 hours 40 min on hold until the line hung up on ME, and then almost 2 hours on hold till I got ahold of a human on Monday. It was my first use of the card, so duh, of course it was "outside of my patterns" 🙄. The problem, I believe, was that it was automatically trying to connect me to a closed Fraud department due to which card I was calling about rather than regular CSR.

SD - Biz -
Message 3 of 8
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I love our BBVA cards and they have been some of our best cash back earning cards, but there is literally NO ONE you can talk to about an issue on the weekend. My phone starting blowing up one Saturday morning with alerts where someone in China was making charges on my card. I logged into the app and turned off the card to stop it after like 5 had already gone through. I tried every BBVA number I could related to CC and some not related to CCs and none of them had people that worked the lines on the weekend.

I called Monday and got the card shutdown and they sent me another one with new number. It shocked me that they have no one servicing their cards for any reason on the weekend. 🤷‍♂️

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 4 of 8
Egaffne2
Regular Contributor

omg i had the ABSOLUTE WORST experience with this company's fraud department/detection. I wanted to use it for a 1000 dollar car repair. It was perfect because I had 0 percent and I also needed to spend the 1500 to get my 100 bonus. So i had it all worked out, went to go pick up my car from the shop and the card was declined. I was so angry and embarrassed. So I called the number and all they could tell me it was declined for fraud suspicion and they transferred me. I sat on hold for 60 min while at the mechanics shop before I gave up and used another card. It took me 3 weeks to get the fraud mark lifted and the card active. What a horrible company

Current 2023 FICO 8 score - 760 (EX) 758 (TU) 762 (EQ) (FICO 9s seem to be significantly higher)
Starting score - 530
Discover it - $4,200
Citi Custom Cash - $6,600
CFNA Firestone - $3,200
Amex BCE - $2,500
Mission Lane - $1,100
Chase slate (AU) - $3,000
Chase Freedom Flex - $11,100
Lowes Advantage card - $10,000
PNC poop points- $4,500
2 student loans 93% paid off
AMEX loan only 7% paid off so far
Total current Utilization among all accounts- 20%

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have several cards with BBVA and luckily I have never had a problem. I do like the rewards and special offers they send out all the time.

They just merged with PNC bank and PNC will be taking over the credit card division from BBVA so just hang in there. There will be a lot of changes in October 2021. I am sure we all will be happy with PNC. Time shall tell

Thanks for the post

Mark

Message 6 of 8
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have several cards with BBVA and luckily I have never had a problem. I do like the rewards and special offers they send out all the time.

They just merged with PNC bank and PNC will be taking over the credit card division from BBVA so just hang in there. There will be a lot of changes in October 2021. I am sure we all will be happy with PNC. Time shall tell

Thanks for the post

Mark

I hope so, but the targeted offers have stopped over the last few months. I just hope PNC doesn't ax the ClearPoints' rewards structure. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JNA1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the post

Mark

I hope so, but the targeted offers have stopped over the last few months. I just hope PNC doesn't ax the ClearPoints' rewards structure. 

You may be right. BBVA did have some great offers for statement credits. PNC is not going to be giving away the kitchen sink like that. My accounts with PNC are kind of dull.  BBVA made sure you used their cards, who could resist those offers. I too have not had an offer from them since the merger was complete. 

The fraud department at PNC is open on the weekends LOL unlike BBVA so there will be some give and take. We will just have to wait and see.

Thanks

Mark

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.