BBVA/PNC CLI data points & other transition tips

tag
chuckwood
Regular Contributor

Re: BBVA/PNC CLI data points & other transition tips

@JNA1 wrote:

@chuckwood wrote:

@Duriel wrote:

Has anyone called to product change from the awful points card yet? I am looking to do so soon. 

I had to call and then they sent me to the branch becuase my BBVA username did not work. I was told over the phone and then by the branch manager that PNC will not convert any accounts to different products.  

Man, that sucks. So far, not only is this card a horrible rewards card, it is opted out of the Purchase Payback offers (which are actually really good on my Cash Rewards card) and you can't opt-in for them, and there isn't even any promotional balance transfer offers (my Cash Rewards card aways has a 0% for 13 month offer with a 3% fee. 

The bad part is that mine is a $25K CL and DW's is a $10K CL. I took a HP in December to get my BBVA card from $15,300 to $25K, so I'm not giving that up. I'm going to put a $1.99 recurring Apple charge on mine and let it pad my utilization. 

It's just disappointing all the way around how this transition has been...

I am in the same boat. Mine is at $25K also so I really don't want to close it but I am still debating it. I did recieve a letter today that was dated October 1st saying I would have to register with PNC that my User ID would not port. So we will see what happens when the dust settles.

Message 21 of 135
cr101
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

BT fees for my PNC cards are as follows...  Nothing is free on BT fees usually unless NFCU or a few other CU's or possibly a new card sign-up no BT fee.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 9.21.53 PM.png

I have the points card and also have the standard rate with fees for the BT "offer". Since you got a 0% offer for the other 2 cards, I'm wondering if they don't offer BT promos for the points card.

By the way, does it annoy anyone else that the word "points" in the card name isn't capitalized? LOL. It also bothered me that the "A" in BBVA was intentionally misaligned. 😁

Message 22 of 135
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@cr101 wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

BT fees for my PNC cards are as follows...  Nothing is free on BT fees usually unless NFCU or a few other CU's or possibly a new card sign-up no BT fee.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 9.21.53 PM.png

I have the points card and also have the standard rate with fees for the BT "offer". Since you got a 0% offer for the other 2 cards, I'm wondering if they don't offer BT promos for the points card.

By the way, does it annoy anyone else that the word "points" in the card name isn't capitalized? LOL. It also bothered me that the "A" in BBVA was intentionally misaligned. 😁

To be fair, being worth less 1/4 of cent each, I'm not sure points deserved to be capitalized! 😂😂🤷‍♂️

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 23 of 135
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

@cr101 wrote:

@ocheosa wrote:

@chuckwood wrote:

@Duriel wrote:

Has anyone called to product change from the awful points card yet? I am looking to do so soon. 

I had to call and then they sent me to the branch becuase my BBVA username did not work. I was told over the phone and then by the branch manager that PNC will not convert any accounts to different products.  

I was told the same this morning from their sales dept, no combinations either. The only option is to apply for a new card and close the points card. She was happy to report you could redeem the points for gift cards. She said they have lots of gift card choices. Her example, you can purchase a $50 gift card for 45 points. I didn't bother to go look was too disappointed. She also said they run BT offers on the points card, didn't say how ofen but yeah, Sucks!

I wish! She left off some zeroes. LOL. You can't even get a $5 Sam's Club card with 45 points. 

2,689 points = $5 Sam's card

23,155 points = $50 Sam's card

Now, the BT offer sounds nice as long as there's no BT fee. I already have cards that offer BT offers, but the fee is too much to make it worth my while. 

Too bad reps are confirming that we can't switch products. If they're lucky, most customers won't care about these things. It would be awful for them if they bought a customer base and lost a big chunk of them bc the customers didn't like the CCs. 🤣

Thanks for clarifying the GC program. I am not at all surprised, what a garbage card. I already have BT cards. Will concentrate on growing the cash rewards and probably just close the points cards when I come out of the garden to app for elan. Oh well, c'est la vie. 

[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
TCL $678.5K: Personal $562.5K, Business $116K.
Message 24 of 135
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@cr101 wrote:

@ocheosa wrote:

@chuckwood wrote:

@Duriel wrote:

I was told the same this morning from their sales dept, no combinations either. The only option is to apply for a new card and close the points card. She was happy to report you could redeem the points for gift cards. She said they have lots of gift card choices. Her example, you can purchase a $50 gift card for 45 points. I didn't bother to go look was too disappointed. She also said they run BT offers on the points card, didn't say how ofen but yeah, Sucks!

I wish! She left off some zeroes. LOL. You can't even get a $5 Sam's Club card with 45 points. 

2,689 points = $5 Sam's card

23,155 points = $50 Sam's card

Now, the BT offer sounds nice as long as there's no BT fee. I already have cards that offer BT offers, but the fee is too much to make it worth my while. 

Too bad reps are confirming that we can't switch products. If they're lucky, most customers won't care about these things. It would be awful for them if they bought a customer base and lost a big chunk of them bc the customers didn't like the CCs. 🤣

Something tells me the majority of folks who got stuck ended up with the "points" card will be just fine with it, not knowing they can do better elsewhere.

The folks who will close the card because of the points value (or rather, lack thereof) won't be missed since PNC wouldn't make much money from us anyway.

Message 25 of 135
PandaGirl77
Regular Contributor

@atst2000 wrote:

@cr101 Thank you for posting this. 

I amongst millions of other sorry saps, have been migrated to this abysmal banking institution. 

I banked with them 10 years ago (not by choice) when they bought out National City. 

Here's an important note for PNC checking:  

if your coming from BBVA, you will be charged checking fees if you don't have a minimum balance of $500. 

Also they migrated me to the PNC points card. Don't be fooled by the 4% earning rate. The points are worth less that a quarter a penny!

Meaning, if you want a $100 cash , you need 50,000 points LOL!

So long BBVA, it was nice knowing ya... 

My sentiments exactly! I too was converted to Points card. October 7, I redeemed all my rewards and paid off the balance. Cest la vie!

Message 26 of 135
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Well .....

Good bye ClearpointsSmiley Sad, welcome _________ pointsSmiley Mad ..worthless POC.

Since,, I was already a PNC customer. all my stuff migrated over with no issuesSmiley Indifferent

Now to close that checking account and SD that worthless PNC points card.

In my mind I am thinking 'WHAT A DISASTER"  ...eom

Feel like calling PNC and say; "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING HERE" ????     ..end of rant!..

Message 27 of 135
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

Yes, we are PNC customers and are there for the business banking.  There is not much value in their personal checking account and the DW's converted "points card" is useless.  We keep $501.00 in the personal checking to prevent the monthly fee but do not use it.  The ACH system is bogus, I could physically walk the money faster in some cases. 

Right after they converted her card to a worthless points card, they sent a preapproval for a CB.  FUBAR I say!

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 28 of 135
cr101
Established Contributor

The rep told me that I should be able to request a CLI since there wasn't a notation that I couldn't. But, I ultimately couldn't request a CLI because my card is not activated. So, we'll at least have to wait until we activate our new cards. That could be the reason that we're getting errors for the online CLI request.

She said that it's a SP and there's a 6-month wait between CLI, even if I'm declined. 😮 I hope that she was wrong about the wait between denials. Anyone have any data points on that?

Also, you apparently have to call the CC department, not the main PNC number. 

Message 29 of 135
Hex
Valued Contributor

I texted them about a PC about a month ago and again yesterday into today (yes took that long) and I don't think they are going to budge on this unless something changes. Maybe they don't realize just how awful their points card is. I plan to let them know. I left an honest review of the card on WalletHub and I'm going to leave more reviews on a bunch of similar sites. All I have to do is cut a paste the truth. My plan for my card which has a $10K limit and is just shy of 2 years old is to close it. I have more than enough available credit to not miss it. I'm just going to wait a month or two to see if they get enough flack to change their PC policy and if not the cc, checking and savings accounts will all be closed together. If anyone else wants to try to help them see the light please post your honest reviews all over the place too. 

Message 30 of 135
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.