Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBVA Pre-Qualified Offers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BBVA Pre-Qualified Offers

Finally stopped getting pre-approvals from Credit One, and the other bottom feeders, and am now getting offers from Amex and now BBVA.
I hadn't thought of them before but now am considering them. The problem is that the timing is a bit off. I was hoping to wait a bit longer so that I could get into the window to app for Chase (I've got a long wait ahead of me after my little app spree) and then an Amex.

My question is this: is BBVA worth pushing my Chase window out? How often do they send these offers once they decide they like you?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Re: BBVA Pre-Qualified Offers

Do you live in the BBVA footprint? Is a relationship with them important to you?

As long as you stay the course, the offers will keep coming. If your goal is Chase I would wait.

Sounds kinda like the prom, you have a date offered, but not from the one you wish to go with.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you’re in their footprint, you’ll keep getting lots of letters but if you’re not, they seem to be sporadic with them. 

The value of the card depends on the categories you use. I personally love my ClearPoints and if they will give me a second one this summer, I may well go for it. 

The value of any of Chase’s card offerings for my spend is much less than what I can get with the ClearPoints card since category spending cards like the Freedom actually just prompt me to spend more than I normally would while a 3%/2% flex card I do my normal spending on. 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. I live in one of their areas right now so I won't panic over apping right away.
I'm moving soon and will be out of the area but maybe by then I will have come to my senses. 🙄
Message 4 of 13
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you’re in their footprint, you’ll keep getting lots of letters but if you’re not, they seem to be sporadic with them. 

The value of the card depends on the categories you use. I personally love my ClearPoints and if they will give me a second one this summer, I may well go for it. 

The value of any of Chase’s card offerings for my spend is much less than what I can get with the ClearPoints card since category spending cards like the Freedom actually just prompt me to spend more than I normally would while a 3%/2% flex card I do my normal spending on. 

Totally agree. And don't get me started with SUB chasing...

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok. I live in one of their areas right now so I won't panic over apping right away.
I'm moving soon and will be out of the area but maybe by then I will have Cole to my senses. 🙄

It’s a great card... BBVA offers lots of bonus point offers too. Like the other day they sent an email for 5 bonus points up to 3000 points on gas. So an extra $30 cash back value on top of the regular 1/2/3 points per dollar depending on your category selections. 

It’s also got no rewards limits even on the 3% category you pick. And while the advertisement makes it seem like some categories are 3% and some are 2% like US Bank does with the Cash+ and their 5%/2%, you actually get a list of all categories and pick one for 3% and one for 2%. 

@mikesonthemend I have been pretty good about only going for SUBs when I have purchases planned which isn’t often but yes, if I spent more money than I do, I would go crazy for them. 

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm... well, I'm hoping that my Discover Card graduates next month, so maybe I'll wait 'till after that.
Discover is currently my only category card and I was actually hoping to snag a Chase.
My other cards are mostly meh, so now that my scores are climbing I'm trying to strategically swap them out.
I currently have:
DCU - decent SL but nothing exciting.
FedEx- very low apr but no other bells or whistles. Low limit, not a grower.
Capitalone QS1- low limit and...meh
Navy - a keeper card.
Not in a hurry to close anything. More of a long-term goal.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want the Chase card, by all means. 

You can actually request a call back on the BBVA website since you’re in area and they’ll let you apply without a mailer but they mailed me like 4 of them before I finally jumped on one and then they mailed a final one after I already had the card so I wouldn’t worry about missing out, your EX is way better than mine was (670) when I got mine. 

Message 8 of 13
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Curious. Have you checked prequallify with Discover? I know your goal is Chase, but with a secured Disco, you may want to check if you are qualified for one of the unsecured cards. If you are, contact via chat or phone, tell them you were pre-qualified on their site and see if they will evaluate you. Most likely a soft pull. I imagine you will get a good result.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Mike, but I really don't want a second Disco
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.