Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBVA Rewards vs Clear Points card?

tag
JNA1
Valued Contributor

BBVA Rewards vs Clear Points card?

I’m thinking I’m going to pull the trigger on one of these two cards, just wondering from the people who have them which is better. There is a BBVA branch about a mile from where I work, so opening an account to collect the unlimited 2% on the Rewards card is no problem for me.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: BBVA Rewards vs Clear Points card?

What is your typical spend on and which rewards would benefit you more? Clear Points is great for the 3x/2x categories if your spend fits the bill.
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

I have both, and have bank accounts with BBVA. The Rewards card is a 1.5% rewards unless you have $1k in monthly direct deposits to a BBVA account which makes it a 2% card, which I have. I recommend you start with Clear Points, it has one 3% & one 2% categories you choose quarterly, 1% all else, and the standard offer is 13 month 0%. $100 SUB for $1500 spend for either card I got it in March, $6100 SL, and they gave me an auto CLI to $7900 on the Oct. statement. And if you're thinking of banking with them this is a good time, they currently have a $200 SUB to open a checking account with direct deposit, another $50 SUB if you also do savings. Check Doctor of Credit and search "BBVA" for the link.

After getting Clear Points in April they had a $250 SUB for checking in Arizona only so that's when I moved my checking & DD to them. Then in July I was making a sizable deposit in branch and the teller pushed me to app for the Rewards card and I let her app for me, instant $6k approval. PaypPal 2% MC is my primary 2% card, I use it online only and carry BBVA Rewards in my wallet for 2% on any non-category spend, I spend much more on Clear Points. Very happy with BBVA, but then they've paid me $450 in just SUBS since March, plus good CC rewards, which will always put a smile on my face. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 6
JNA1
Valued Contributor

My first year is almost up with Discover, and after that I want a 2% card as my daily driver. I did the prequal and it showed a SL of $15,300 and APR of 16.49, which is by far better than my other 2 cards. I typically cycle between $4000-$4500 monthly on my It card. I’ll keep doing the 5% on it when it makes to, but I’ll need a new daily driver when the cash back match ends on it.

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 4 of 6
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Is your goal card of Amex BCP not available to you?

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 5 of 6
JNA1
Valued Contributor

It probably is (I’m pre-qualified for it too), but in a little over a month I lose my 2% daily driver because Discover’s cash back match ends. I want to secure a 2% card first, then eventually get the BCP for 3% gas and 6% groceries.

I talked to a BBVA CSR today that told me unless something changes with my credit before the HP that the $15,300 SL and 16.49% should be firm.

CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.