Did you mean: 

BBVA compass

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BBVA compass

@FinStar wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

Yes, all of their cards are for specific States. Unless you have a pre-approval.

Correct, if you live in a specific footprint state  you can still apply directly online.  Pre-approvals are the way to go if you reside outside of their lending footprint.

@Anonymous, BBVA is not exclusive to just pre-approval direct mail offers.  As per my comment above, if an applicant resides within the specific lending area, cards can be applied online without the prerequisite of a pre-approved offer. 

You actually cannot submit an application online without a code from the mailer. You can request a call back, which wasn't an option when I applied for my card, or you can go into a branch, both of those only if you live in those states (which I do) but I would not trust them not to tell you that you have to open a checking account if you go into a branch for it.

Compass has a not-so-good reputation here in Colorado so they would never get me to bank with them but their credit card is great so far. I will stick with FirstBank for my banking needs unless I decide to move over to NFCU for good in September.

Message 21 of 51
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I guess it's a YEMV outcome, but from personal experience with BBVA (also bank with them - not primary FI though), I have been able to apply and open 2 CCs with them, online (no pre-approval offer) and through one of their branches. This is after they implemented geo-restricted applications, excluding the BBVA NBA AmEx that was available nationwide years ago (which I still have).
Message 22 of 51
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol Nba Amex, what a shameSmiley Wink
Message 23 of 51
Caught750
Valued Contributor

I can't wait to pull the trigger on my Clear points pre approval early next month!
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 24 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:
I guess it's a YEMV outcome, but from personal experience with BBVA (also bank with them - not primary FI though), I have been able to apply and open 2 CCs with them, online (no pre-approval offer) and through one of their branches. This is after they implemented geo-restricted applications, excluding the BBVA NBA AmEx that was available nationwide years ago (which I still have).

You already have a relationship with them though. From what I've seen, they are like Amex in that regard, and will even show you your interest rate and limit before you actually submit the application. For people that don't have a relationship with them, its mail offers or geo-fenced.

Message 25 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

i got the mailer with the preapproval 3-4 months ago and i tried to apply twice but both times they said they could not validate my identity and never  pulled my credit so i just gave up applying anyone else had that issue?

Message 26 of 51
Benzman
Frequent Contributor

I get the mailers every few months. Always get the same message when finished with online app, "Potential fraud risk indicators present", yet never have had this happen with any other bank but BBVA. I have no freezes, fraud alerts, etc on any reports. The funny thing is they never pull a report because I never get an alert nor ever see an inquiry. I wrote them one time to investigate, and they sent me some form letter, that was not even in relation to the issue. Crazy.

Amex CM 10K | Amex ED 10K | Amex BCE 7.5K | 5/3RD SU2C 10K | 5/3RD SU2C 6.5K | Barclays Cash 6K | Barclay AARP 3.5K | Bread AMEX 9K | Citizens Cash 8K | Citizens Clear 2K | Citi® DP 11.3K | Citi® Simplicity 9.4K | Citi® TY 6.5K | Citi® DC 4K | Citi CuC 3.4K | Cap One QS 14.6K | Cap One WM MC 11K | Discover It 19.5K | Discover Miles 13.5K | BOA Cash 13.2K | BOA 7K | US Bank State Farm Visa 4K | US Bank AMEX 22.5K | US Bank Plat 16.5K | US Bank Cash 11.2K | FNBO Rewards 20K | FNBO Evergreen 11.3K | Huntington Voice 7,750K | Huntington Voice Rewards 8.7K | PF|CP Rewards 8.2K | PF|CP Gold 3.2K | PNC Cash 15K | PNC Core 15K | PNC Points 8K | Fidelity 15K | Wells Active 12K | Wells Reflect 10K | Target MC 12.5K | TD Cash 4.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Synch Premier MC 11.6K | Ebay MC 10K | Apple Card 5.5K | Deserve Digital 6K | Simon AMEX 6K | Chase Amazon 1.5K | F8 Scores 4/23 EX789; TU781; EQ792.
Message 27 of 51
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

i got the mailer with the preapproval 3-4 months ago and i tried to apply twice but both times they said they could not validate my identity and never  pulled my credit so i just gave up applying anyone else had that issue?

Thank you, it seems this has the potential to be quite the hassle since I do have a fraud alert😕 I can't imagine how this would go down 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 28 of 51
UncleB
Credit Mentor

To add a data point, of my 20+ accounts as far as I can recall BBVA/Compass was the only one to ask for my DL# while I was completing the pre-approved app online, using the access number that they mailed to me.

Then while it was processing, it had to send a one-time code to my mobile phone that I had to key-in to complete the process.  When I realized how it was going to work I was afraid of losing my internet connection on my PC which would have messed up the automated process they used.  I have no idea if it could have recovered, but in any case it completed sucessfully and I was auto-approved.

I imagine with an active fraud alert they would really give an app the fine-tooth comb (which to be fair, is somewhat the purpose of the fraud alert).

Message 29 of 51
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@UncleB wrote:

To add a data point, of my 20+ accounts as far as I can recall BBVA/Compass was the only one to ask for my DL# while I was completing the pre-approved app online, using the access number that they mailed to me.

Then while it was processing, it had to send a one-time code to my mobile phone that I had to key-in to complete the process.  When I realized how it was going to work I was afraid of losing my internet connection on my PC which would have messed up the automated process they used.  I have no idea if it could have recovered, but in any case it completed sucessfully and I was auto-approved.

I imagine with an active fraud alert they would really give an app the fine-tooth comb (which to be fair, is somewhat the purpose of the fraud alert).

Thank you. Yes I agree that is the purpose of the fraud alert and would expect them to be very thorough.  Sitting on the fence about it Smiley Happy

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 30 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.