Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBVA credit card conversion to PNC products

tag
user979797
Established Contributor

BBVA credit card conversion to PNC products

According to the lastest update posted on BBVA's website yesterday, it looks like BBVA credit cards are going to be converted to PNC credit card products. I was for some reason hoping that they would maintain the BBVA structure but according to the wording they are using it appears that BBVA products will be converted into PNC products. PNC lists their credit card products so check and see if any of their cards would be a good replacement for Clearpoints. https://www.pnc.com/en/about-pnc/topics/acquisition-update.html?WT.ac=bbva-home

>
Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BBVA credit card conversion to PNC products

Wonder when this is going to happen is it going to be like truist where they are merged, but not really merged as they each have their own CC offerings, etc..  I have BBVA and two PNC cards so see what happens when it happens I suppose, but speculate based on truist it has a ways to go.  Company I work for bought another company recently although not a bank still financial in nature it will take a few years to integrate our products into standards, although we have already started standardizing our UW and getting rid of bad risks that we know will cost us money and not worth the rate increase alone (insurance/financial).

Message 2 of 48
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Wonder when this is going to happen is it going to be like truist where they are merged, but not really merged as they each have their own CC offerings, etc..  I have BBVA and two PNC cards so see what happens when it happens I suppose, but speculate based on truist it has a ways to go.  Company I work for bought another company recently although not a bank still financial in nature it will take a few years to integrate our products into standards, although we have already started standardizing our UW and getting rid of bad risks that we know will cost us money and not worth the rate increase alone (insurance/financial).

According to this post in CIN, sometime around October.  But, it's still unknown whether that timeframe is still a 'soft' target and/or which products will go through integration phases.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/Update-PNC-to-buy-BBVA/m-p/6342056#M25006

Message 3 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope they give us a choice of which credit card we want.  I got the clearpoints card in 2019.

@user979797 wrote:

According to the lastest update posted on BBVA's website yesterday, it looks like BBVA credit cards are going to be converted to PNC credit card products. I was for some reason hoping that they would maintain the BBVA structure but according to the wording they are using it appears that BBVA products will be converted into PNC products. PNC lists their credit card products so check and see if any of their cards would be a good replacement for Clearpoints. 

Message 4 of 48
cr101
Established Contributor

The article says that we'll hear more in Aug and the conversion's slated for Oct. So bummed. I just got the card and don't want a 'new acct' on my reports. Any idea how they handled past acquistions/conversions? What are the chances that this won't be a 'new' account with the bureaus?

Message 5 of 48
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@cr101 wrote:

The article says that we'll hear more in Aug and the conversion's slated for Oct. So bummed. I just got the card and don't want a 'new acct' on my reports. Any idea how they handled past acquistions/conversions? What are the chances that this won't be a 'new' account with the bureaus?

PNC acquired National City around 2008 and nothing happened (i.e.accounts reporting as new).  While it's too early too tell what the outcome will be, it's doubtful that PNC acquiring BBVA will result in accounts reporting as new.  What is most concerning for a lot of members who have the ClearPoints and/or Rewards CCs (even Select) is how those particular products will be aligned or integrated into the PNC family of cards.  So, we'll just have to wait and see how that will pan out.

Message 6 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess PNC wants to lose all of the credit card accounts because their own credit cards are pretty meh compared to BBVA's...

Message 7 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully they let me keep all 4 of my BBVA cards LOL

Message 8 of 48
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess PNC wants to lose all of the credit card accounts because their own credit cards are pretty meh compared to BBVA's...

Do you know for sure if this is what will take place because myFICO [BBVA] cardholders represent a fairly small fraction of all BBVA accounts.  Unless you have inside information, we really don't know the final outcome as to how this will shape up.  It's possible the merger will provide PNC an opportunity to refresh their products, but nothing definitive as of yet.

Message 9 of 48
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you know for sure if this is what will take place because myFICO [BBVA] cardholders represent a fairly small fraction of all BBVA accounts.  Unless you have inside information, we really don't know the final outcome as to how this will shape up.  It's possible the merger will provide PNC an opportunity to refresh their products, but nothing definitive as of yet.

As a holder of both BBVA Clearpoints and PNC Cash Rewards, I'm intrigued as to what they'll decide the Clearpoints would align with. Having AOD pretty much makes Clearpoints irrelevant to me, so I'm hoping they come up with something provocative. Whatever becomes of Clearpoints, at least it'll be a SP for CLI's and one will never have to deal with BBVA's less than stellar CSR's again.

Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.