Did you mean: 

BBVA credit card conversion to PNC products

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BBVA credit card conversion to PNC products

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess PNC wants to lose all of the credit card accounts because their own credit cards are pretty meh compared to BBVA's...

Do you know for sure if this is what will take place because myFICO [BBVA] cardholders represent a fairly small fraction of all BBVA accounts.  Unless you have inside information, we really don't know the final outcome as to how this will shape up.  It's possible the merger will provide PNC an opportunity to refresh their products, but nothing definitive as of yet.

My post was a reply to the topic of the thread, nothing more. I figured that would be pretty clear seeing how I didn't say anything further. 

I'll be bummed out if the ClearPoints goes away. I noticed that nobody got a targeted offer this month either so yeah, I'm not thinking these changes are going to benefit us here. I guess we will see what happens. 

PNC should at least keep BBVA's 2% card because while a lot of people will probably be okay with PNC's Cash Rewards replacing ClearPoints, people who went out of their way to apply for the BBVA Rewards card won't be amused at having to go find another 2% card. 

Message 11 of 48
cr101
Established Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess PNC wants to lose all of the credit card accounts because their own credit cards are pretty meh compared to BBVA's...

Do you know for sure if this is what will take place because myFICO [BBVA] cardholders represent a fairly small fraction of all BBVA accounts.  Unless you have inside information, we really don't know the final outcome as to how this will shape up.  It's possible the merger will provide PNC an opportunity to refresh their products, but nothing definitive as of yet.

As a holder of both BBVA Clearpoints and PNC Cash Rewards, I'm intrigued as to what they'll decide the Clearpoints would align with. Having AOD pretty much makes Clearpoints irrelevant to me, so I'm hoping they come up with something provocative. Whatever becomes of Clearpoints, at least it'll be a SP for CLI's and one will never have to deal with BBVA's less than stellar CSR's again.

Two silver lingings with the conversion! More interested in the SP CLI. Their service is like night and day. PNC actually has amazing service.

Message 12 of 48
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll be bummed out if the ClearPoints goes away. I noticed that nobody got a targeted offer this month either so yeah, I'm not thinking these changes are going to benefit us here. I guess we will see what happens. 

- I figured we wouldn't get an offer this month after 2 months of the generous 10% offer up to $50. The final purchase price for bank mergers is often determined by the amount of banking account deposits and CC balances; BBVA like was trying to boost balances.

PNC should at least keep BBVA's 2% card because while a lot of people will probably be okay with PNC's Cash Rewards replacing ClearPoints, people who went out of their way to apply for the BBVA Rewards card won't be amused at having to go find another 2% card. 

The BBVA Rewards card required a $1k monthly "deposit" to make it a 2% card instead of 1.5%. Any ACH deposit worked and I used to do that but stopped bothering with that a couple months ago, I have 2 other 2% cards and a pre-qual for FNBO Evergreen 2% that I might take. PNC can convert that card to whatever they want, but I would miss Clearpoints.

As for your OP that PNC cards are pretty meh, I agree. I have their Cash Rewards card but just put a 15 month 0% BT on it which means I'll stop using it as you lose the interest free grace period on new purchases. But 4% cashback for gas was no big loss; not a big spend for me with short commute and car that gets 35mpg. 

Message 13 of 48
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Something interesting... every 7-eleven store I've been to has coded as a gas station with PNC whether it sells fuel or not. 

4% on Slurpees makes the kids happy 😁

Message 14 of 48
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Hopefully, we could see more of the conversion process. But, I think they're going to convert the bbva to pnc cash rewards

Message 15 of 48
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@TheBoondocks wrote:

Hopefully, we could see more of the conversion process. But, I think they're going to convert the bbva to pnc cash rewards

Everything at this point is speculation. It's wholly possible that PNC could add new card products to their own line in the midst of converting BBVA cards over. I do agree with @Anonymous that PNC's current card offerings could use a refreshing for the most part. I personally grabbed the Cash Rewards card for 4% gas (in a process I started before Elan's Max Cash happened.) and to add a new lender to my lineup.

PNC is big enough that they could should be able to come up with something similar to our current Elan/USB flavor of the month which I'd call an improvement on the current Clearpoint product. Possibly a 2% everything uncapped card as well, but those are popping up more and more places (like the FNBO Evergreen we've all been reading about on here lately.). Personally I'd rather a 5% rotator like Freedom and Discover that brought some new categories/merchants to the table over a 2% card.

If PNC does do a 2% card, they should do it with NO FTF and market it to those with an eBay MC on their reports.yes.gif

Message 16 of 48
FieryDance
Frequent Contributor

Curious to see what my Select card gets converted to.  I am hoping for a non AF card and the conversion happens before my next AF is posted at the end of the year.  The scheduled timeline is very tight for my purpose though. Lol

Ideally PNC keeps or launches its own equivalent of "ClearPoints".  

Message 17 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

This makes me so sad. I love my clear points card for utilities. I will need to figure out a replacement. 

Message 18 of 48
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Speculation on what might happen with the clearpoints card isnt going to do anyone any good. For PNC to take a BBVA product and force convert it would be a move that would hurt not help them. Most banks retain whatever rewards structure there is when another is bought out. It would be foolish for PNC to move to fast in evaluating BBVAs card portfolio.

Message 19 of 48
cr101
Established Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Speculation on what might happen with the clearpoints card isnt going to do anyone any good. For PNC to take a BBVA product and force convert it would be a move that would hurt not help them. Most banks retain whatever rewards structure there is when another is bought out. It would be foolish for PNC to move to fast in evaluating BBVAs card portfolio.

I'm prepared to be converted, based on the info on their site (below). The beating around the bush made it clear to me that they know that they're going to convert us, but they don't want to say it yet. Smiley Very Happy

image.png

Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.