Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBVA > PNC credit card integration update

tag
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Re: Bbva credit card integration update

Well, I got the letter saying DW and I also will be receiving the turd Points card. 🙈 It's pretty disappointing, but I'm inclined to keep them open because the two cards represent $35K of our TCL. 

@Duriel @Anonymous @NoMoreE46 

if you are aren't geolocked, the Synovus Cash Rewards card makes a great replacement for the ClearPoints card. It has unlimited 3% Dining and another selectable 3% with the same rewards system through TSYS like BBVA was. They have the same awesome broad categories for utilities and everything else. They known to be generous with SLs and no real INQ sensitive. They pull EQ9. 
https://www.synovus.com/personal/charge/credit-cards/

If you are willing to pay a $50 AF, the Travel Rewards card has 5% up to $5K annually on all travel charges and a 3% selectable category like the BBVA card had. If you use your points to pay a travel charge instead of cash deposit or statement credit, you get an extra 20%, effectively making it a 6.25% travel and 3.75% selectable category card. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 91 of 191
cr101
Established Contributor

By the way, for those of you planning to try to convert, the docs that I got state that if you don't agree to the changes, you can let them know by at least calling or mailing, but it will result in your account being closed. So, be careful with your words when you call them. If you ask to PC, if they agree, make sure that it's not resulting in a new account. And, if you ask about PC and they say that you can't, end the call with them knowing that you plan on keeping your account open. Hopefully, we don't read about any accidental closures. 😬

Message 92 of 191
Duriel
Frequent Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:

Well, I got the letter saying DW and I also will be receiving the turd Points card. 🙈 It's pretty disappointing, but I'm inclined to keep them open because the two cards represent $35K of our TCL. 

if you are aren't geolocked, the Synovus Cash Rewards card makes a great replacement for the ClearPoints card. It has unlimited 3% Dining and another selectable 3% with the same rewards system through TSYS like BBVA was. They have the same awesome broad categories for utilities and everything else. They known to be generous with SLs and no real INQ sensitive. They pull EQ9. 

If you are willing to pay a $50 AF, the Travel Rewards card has 5% up to $5K annually on all travel charges and a 3% selectable category like the BBVA card had. If you use your points to pay a travel charge instead of cash deposit or statement credit, you get an extra 20%, effectively making it a 6.25% travel and 3.75% selectable category card. 

I looked into them a while back. Seems to be southeast only? I live in Illinois. Yes their cards interest me though. 

Message 93 of 191
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Duriel wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

I looked into them a while back. Seems to be southeast only? I live in Illinois. Yes their cards interest me though. 

Why not just go for one of the Elan Max Cash cards or the Citi Custom Cash if you'd be opening a new account anyways? You'd get 5% vs. 3%. Neither of these are geo-restricted.

Message 94 of 191
Duriel
Frequent Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

@Duriel wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

Why not just go for one of the Elan Max Cash cards or the Citi Custom Cash if you'd be opening a new account anyways? You'd get 5% vs. 3%. Neither of these are geo-restricted.

I broke up with usbank and citi some years ago. Meaning I fell on hard times. I assume Elan uses usbank's records and would not say yes. With my luck I wouldn't be one of the no hard pull denials too 😂

Message 95 of 191
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

If the transition does go to the points card, I will cancel immediately. I will then apply for the PNC card and get the SUB while I'm on it.

Message 96 of 191
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChargedUp wrote:

Agreed; barring someone having burned U.S. Bank/Citi in the past, there's really no reason to take an HP for the PNC Cash Rewards. The 2/3/4 rewards structure looks compelling at first glance, but the card really doesn't offer anything that other cards don't do better. Then there's the relatively low combined cap.

Very easy to get a card structure with 5% back on dining or gas (instead of 3/4), and ofc everyone interested in cashback should already have (or should prioritize getting) an uncapped 2+% cashback card for uncategorized spend.

Message 97 of 191
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

Agreed; barring someone having burned U.S. Bank/Citi in the past, there's really no reason to take an HP for the PNC Cash Rewards. The 2/3/4 rewards structure looks compelling at first glance, but the card really doesn't offer anything that other cards don't do better. Then there's the relatively low combined cap.

Very easy to get a card structure with 5% back on dining or gas (instead of 3/4), and ofc everyone interested in cashback should already have (or should prioritize getting) an uncapped 2+% cashback card for uncategorized spend.

The PNC CR card is not a bad card, especially if used for gas only. The Cash +/MCP is not really comparable as a gas card to the PNC CR because you can't set gas as a 5% category. It's only 2% on gas. The Citi CC would be a slightly better at 5%, but it is capped at $6K per year, which is even lower than the $8K of the PNC card. If one spends less than $500 in fuel, the CC is the clear winner. The 5% - 10% targeted offers on the PNC card makes it a pretty good card though, and comes pretty close to closing the gap between 4 and 5%. 
For me, I intend to get a Citi CC in the future, but it will be a dining card for us. I'd still continue to use the PNC CR as it fits our better with how much we spend on gas in the summer months with my business. The $8K works better for me than $500 per month, because I use our Discover cards for one quarter out of the year on the gas. This leaves me with the ability to get 4% on $888 spend per month for the remaining months. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 98 of 191
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Sad well...got the letter, I guess I wasnt going to be one of the rare ones to get the cash rewards. What was even the point of this chart?

1E7CD142-EBC7-4EA8-A85D-C5016A658096.jpeg

Well I am "hopeful" that Oct 12, I can get a conversion. If not, I am definitely closing this card. I realize I don't want a PNC relationship that bad.

Message 99 of 191
SirMilo
Regular Contributor

I too got notification for the Points Card today.

I am not usually one of those "I told you so" kind of people but I called this back in June on the PNC merge thread in the Credit in the News section. As I said then, even when people said there was no way to know for sure, reading between the lines has almost always been accurate for me in addition about everything being about PROFITS.

Glad I liquidated my BBVA accounts since there is zero reason to stay with PNC, unless of course I want 4 points that are worth less than a penny per dollar spent or that extra .01% interest on a money market account with a $100K deposit. I have also been informed that PNC is closing my nearest branch so the convenience factor has even been snatched away due to this merger. It is almost like they are doing everything they can to be sure that I don't want to do business with them, and they have successfully accomplished that mission. I am however thankful for the last 5 years I had with the ClearPoints card but I am firing PNC before they even step up. 

In case some people didn't thoroughly read the fine print, spend your BBVA Rewards by 10/5 or they will be rolled over to your PNC account, making them worth next to nothing.

Message 100 of 191
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.