Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCE/BCP rewards being limiting?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BCE/BCP rewards being limiting?

Hey Y'all,

I have been gardening for about 8 months and will be looking to apply for a BCP at the end of Jan of 2013, mainly waiting for my inquiries to drop off. I was just browsing the AMEX site and there seems to be 'reviews' for the BCE/BCP. This is surprising because about a week or two ago there were no reviews for both cards. Well, my curiosity got the best of me and I began to read a few, but the more I read the less appealing the BCP looked.

It seems that some card members are stating that there are limits to the rewards you can receive, some stating that only $6,000 will be applied for the 6% groceries cash back bonus. After reading the above I began to panic, my dream card was slowly being knocked down off its pedestal. I was under the impression that there is an unlimited cash back on the BCP. One hour later, with the help of Google, I was still unable to find a definite answer to whether or not there is a limit to the BCE/BCP.

So I ask all the sages of myFICO for assistance in this rather unfortunate predicament....

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

Re: BCE/BCP rewards being limiting?

Its true. The first 6,000 in groceries on the bcp earn 6%, but all grocery purchases thereafter earn only 1%.

The same cap is in place for the bce as well- 3% on the first 6k and 1 % thereafter

This was never the case before but was implemented within the last month or so

Just wanted to add- I got a notice with my last statement that said the changes would take effect on January 15th,2013

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is very unfortunate Smiley Sad I hope this is not the end of 'unlimited' rewards... The BCP was a great card, I guess I will have to really study up on my cards.

Message 3 of 9
TheConductor
Established Contributor

As I said only a few days ago the last time this got brought up:

"the only people AmEx BCP has actually "worsened" for are the ones spending more than $6k per year on groceries.  For everyone else, the value proposition of the card remains the same - if you're earning enough from it to justify the annual fee, hooray! Life goes on, and your card still rocks.

If you're not earning enough to justify that annual fee, the Discover is one worth looking at. Know where your money is going, and it's easy to choose among the various 5%+ cards like Citi Forward, Discover More, Chase Freedom, AmEx Blue Cash Preferred, etc."

You still get unlimited rewards in all the other categories; it's only groceries that is limited. Yes, it's a limit on a card that was previously totally unlimited, but it's a pretty high limit. The sky is not falling, and it's still one of the best rewards cards out there,

Read more:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-BCP-Worsening-Conditions-Effective-1-15-13/td-p/16...

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 4 of 9
Dustink
Valued Contributor

It was to prevent gift card buying.

$500 per month on groceries at 6% back is still pretty good.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 5 of 9
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

$600 per year for groceries is not enough to cover my grocery bill. I have a household of 5 with two teenagers and live in a major metro area with higher prices. I have BCP and will be impacted by the change.  My plan is to use Discover when it has grocery month, use Freedom during its 5% quarter. We have 2 discovers, mine and DH's so we will get a double punch then. 

When I reach the cap, I will use a card with 2% back instead of the 1% back. I find 1% to be an insult. It is a grocery cash back card with an AF that will now net me way below the 6% when you calculate in the AF. 

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 6 of 9
distantarray
Established Contributor

for a single person $6000 should suffice as most people do quite a bit of shopping at super walmart and targets these days as well, and if you have a family you can always get your wife or husband to get one of their own as well. Also remember if you have a good card like Discover more, Chase Freedom, Citi Dividend they have 5% cash back on groceries atleast for 1 quarter usually. So just switch it out with those then and you should be fine.

Also remember if you catch Freedom grocery quarter + checking + sapphire you'll get 10 points more per swipe then 5% back + 20% extra used for travel so that's potentially little over 6% as well. It sucks but too many people were abusing giftcard buying.

Although a CSR told me if you get the card before January you'll have unlimited 6% for 1 full year until the annual fee is accessed.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@distantarray wrote:

for a single person $6000 should suffice as most people do quite a bit of shopping at super walmart and targets these days as well, and if you have a family you can always get your wife or husband to get one of their own as well. Also remember if you have a good card like Discover more, Chase Freedom, Citi Dividend they have 5% cash back on groceries atleast for 1 quarter usually. So just switch it out with those then and you should be fine.

Also remember if you catch Freedom grocery quarter + checking + sapphire you'll get 10 points more per swipe then 5% back + 20% extra used for travel so that's potentially little over 6% as well. It sucks but too many people were abusing giftcard buying.

Although a CSR told me if you get the card before January you'll have unlimited 6% for 1 full year until the annual fee is accessed.

That is very good news, I will try to jump on that. I have both Chase Freedom and Discover More, so I should be in good hands. I hope Amex dosen't mind losing a bit of profit from me Smiley Happy.

Message 8 of 9
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

That is very good news, I will try to jump on that. I have both Chase Freedom and Discover More, so I should be in good hands. I hope Amex dosen't mind losing a bit of profit from me Smiley Happy.

Also remember that Chase Freedom + Chase Checking + Chase Sapphire if you have all 3 it'll get you more points than BCE for grocery months =)

10 points per transaction + 5% grocery + 20% more for travel with sapphire = 6% + 10 points per transaction Smiley Happy

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.