Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCE “credit steps” for lack of a better phrase

tag
Davis9508
Contributor

BCE “credit steps” for lack of a better phrase

Has anybody got their increase after the 5th statement yet? My 5th will cut this week and I’m just curious how much the increase will likely be.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BCE “credit steps” for lack of a better phrase

Are you talking about Capital One or American Express?

Message 2 of 12
Davis9508
Contributor

Sorry, American Express. When I got my card it was only a 500 limit but I got an email that said I would get an increase after 5 statements.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

People have shared data points -- I just used the searchbar here to pull these links up:

It would be useful for you to report back in this thread once you get to their "credit steps" increase period so we have more data points.  Some folks have posted the same topic you did and never followed up such as this thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-INITIAL-CLI/td-p/4978642

Message 4 of 12
Davis9508
Contributor

I’d searched too. There’s not a whole lot to find yet. I will definitely update whenever I get the increase. 😊
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome!

I would definitely try to request a CLI after they give you your "credit steps" bump!  The bump appears to be pretty consistent based on Google searches, but I think I've read that NOT using the card may mean NOT getting the bump.  So definitely give the card SOME usage every statement period!

I'd say if your scores are improving since you apped, and if you're working at keeping utilization down, you should likely get the bump they promised.  And it wouldn't surprise me if they also gave you a bump from a CLI request yourself, although who knows if it's 1 day after auto-CLI or 61 days.   More data points shared here would help others a lot, thanks!

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny, I was just about to post that I did indeed get the credit increase today. 500 to 1000

Message 7 of 12
Davis9508
Contributor

Thanks! I kinda figured that is what it might be. A friend of mine started at 500 a year ago and she’s up to $1500. She doesn’t request increases so it had to be auto increases of 500 a piece since she said she went to $1000 and $1500. Have a great weekend!
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most likely you will be increased to $1000. Max 1500 if you have shown a lot of good faith. 

Might be a year or two before you get to anything impressive.

Good Luck!

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened my Amex BCE and got a $1k SL; on Day 61 I hit 3x CLI and went up to $3k. Then 181 days later I hit the 3x again and am now at $9k. 

I'm a student with ~$45k income. During that period, my EX score moved from 696 to 731.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.