Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCE "Invisible" CLI

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

BCE "Invisible" CLI

A month or two ago, my daughter (19) got a BCE with a $1K CL.  Soon after she got it, I remembered that she had been an AU on my card since the previous year, so she asked Amex to update and she got  a 2012 card.   She hasn't used it at all.  But today when she logged on to check something else, we see the CL is now $8K.   She didn't get any notification about this so it was surprising.   She didn't keep the carrier the replacement card came in, I guess it could have been updated there.   But I assume backdating by a few months doesn't normally cause a CLI.

So new rule:  Don't use your card at all and Amex will give you an 8x CLI after a month (or less!)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

Re: BCE "Invisible" CLI

Wow. Lucky her!
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 2 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

A month or two ago, my daughter (19) got a BCE with a $1K CL.  Soon after she got it, I remembered that she had been an AU on my card since the previous year, so she asked Amex to update and she got  a 2012 card.   She hasn't used it at all.  But today when she logged on to check something else, we see the CL is now $8K.   She didn't get any notification about this so it was surprising.   She didn't keep the carrier the replacement card came in, I guess it could have been updated there.   But I assume backdating by a few months doesn't normally cause a CLI.

So new rule:  Don't use your card at all and Amex will give you an 8x CLI after a month (or less!)

Now you tell me Lol

Congrats to DD

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 9
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

are you kidding me??!! A 19 yr old has an 8k CL!! LOL haha. Woah! HUGE congrats to her! I'm 23 and I don't even have a limit of 8k! Smiley Sad

You've taught your daughter well Smiley Wink lol

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 4 of 9
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Wow! Congrats to your dd! Nice cl!

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 5 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 6 of 9
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Very nice increase.  Congrats to your DD!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

So before I saw this, I had told her to apply for the 3x CLI after 61 days.  Guess now we will wait, as even though she didn't ask for a CLI, whenever she got it might restart the clock.

She might even use the card from time to time, although for most of purchases Cap One and Citi give more rewards.

Message 8 of 9
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

Way to go simply awesomeSmiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.