cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCE required reimbursement of cash back reward to avoid interest charges on $0 balance account.

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BCE required reimbursement of cash back reward to avoid interest charges on $0 balance account.

I think what's important is being aware of a lender's policies and how each product works. This isn't really about 'avoiding' AmEx, it's about understanding the T&C and determining whether such product or redemption process is a good fit for the average consumer. This would apply for other FIs and products from Citi, BoA, Commerce, 5/3, NFCU, etc.

Clearly not every lender or product will be a fit for everyone so it would behoove for anyone to do some research beforehand.

I've never had any issues with AmEx cashback redemptions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ETA - @Remedios beat me to it with the short and sweet response 😁
Message 21 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BCE required reimbursement of cash back reward to avoid interest charges on $0 balance account.

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The lesson here is never take statement credits. Instead deposit it to your bank account. Even if you then use it to pay the bill. It's always simpler that way.

I think the lesson here is to just avoid Amex. When you earn cash back, it should be your decision how and what you use it for. I can understand not allowing it towards the minimum payment due but anything outside of that is a totally ridiculous restriction! I would be fuming mad like the OP too. 

ETA: Now that I got to the end, I see that’s not even a reasonable option either so that makes this whole thing even more ridiculous!

While this is very unfortunate, it's really not a reason to avoid Amex. 

It's clearly spelled in terms and conditions (stuff just about no one reads). 

I view it more along the lines of  'Lesson learned'

What exactly is the lesson here? This has yet to be resolved for the OP. Still waiting to see if Amex canceled the payment that was sent and if they do if interest gets assessed on a balance that equals the cash back redeemed when the statement balance was paid.

There is no lesson to be learned when the resolution isn’t even there. I would be quite mad right now. I hate wasting my time speaking on the phone to begin with but when the issue isn’t resolved, it’s infuriating. 

Message 22 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since BCE is a revolver, it doesn't need to be PIF. Only the minumim due for the statement period. So I just pay all but the CB amount, which also takes care of the minimum due amount. So that when they finally apply the statment credit, it brings the the account to a 0 balance.

I sometimes wonder why people take the complicated path, and then blame outside forces when it doesn't work out.

Message 23 of 38
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The lesson here is never take statement credits. Instead deposit it to your bank account. Even if you then use it to pay the bill. It's always simpler that way.

I think the lesson here is to just avoid Amex. When you earn cash back, it should be your decision how and what you use it for. I can understand not allowing it towards the minimum payment due but anything outside of that is a totally ridiculous restriction! I would be fuming mad like the OP too. 

ETA: Now that I got to the end, I see that’s not even a reasonable option either so that makes this whole thing even more ridiculous!

While this is very unfortunate, it's really not a reason to avoid Amex. 

It's clearly spelled in terms and conditions (stuff just about no one reads). 

I view it more along the lines of  'Lesson learned'

What exactly is the lesson here? This has yet to be resolved for the OP. Still waiting to see if Amex canceled the payment that was sent and if they do if interest gets assessed on a balance that equals the cash back redeemed when the statement balance was paid.

There is no lesson to be learned when the resolution isn’t even there. I would be quite mad right now. I hate wasting my time speaking on the phone to begin with but when the issue isn’t resolved, it’s infuriating. 

It appears that the payment was cancelled. Last evening the statement balance was zero. The current balance and minimum payment remained zero as it was before. 

This morning the statement balance was $37 and change with the notice that payment is due in 4 days. Current balance and minium payment are zero. I will just let this play out and see what happens. 

When I phoned yesterday to inquire the rep was discourteous. I got the deadbeat treatment. She went to "do you want to pay with your checking account ending in XXXX?" I agreed to do that. She told me she had to get a disclosure to read to me. I was placed on hold. She returned and began to read "the payment cannot be cancelled blah, blah blah". I agreed since I was informed by her that there was a payment due.

I phoned later and spoke to another rep chosing the question charge option. He was amused that I repayed a cash back reward. He volunteered to cancel the payment and apologized for the previous rep. 

The frustration with American Express is the lack of consistency when speaking to phone reps. Either there is/was a payemnt due or not. One rep was correct. The other was misinformed. 

I'll find out soon enough.

American Express has a long way to go in training phone reps on basic information. A customer who askes if there is payment due and is willing to pay should not be disrespected by the rep. IMHO. They got paid. What else do they want? 

Amex pulled Experian 1/30/2019  823. That's not an accident. 

Message 24 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

How positively infuriating! You would think with your score they would send you to reps that actually know what they’re doing but I guess customer service just isn’t important to these companies anymore. I had my own bad experience with Amex last year involving reps that didn’t know what they were doing. Multiple phone calls plus Twitter. Never resolved satisfactorily. 

Hopefully they get all this mess figured out. It seems like such a trivial thing...

Message 25 of 38
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How positively infuriating! You would think with your score they would send you to reps that actually know what they’re doing but I guess customer service just isn’t important to these companies anymore. I had my own bad experience with Amex last year involving reps that didn’t know what they were doing. Multiple phone calls plus Twitter. Never resolved satisfactorily. 

Hopefully they get all this mess figured out. It seems like such a trivial thing...

Sorry to hear that your issue was never resolved satisfactorily. That's frustrating. 

I'll post back when this plays out unless I'm in debtor's prison, cash back rewards cell block. Smiley Happy

I've been very fortunate with credit card lenders. I don't remember the last time I phoned any other card issuer with a question or problem. Seems American Express is my problem child or maybe I'm theirs. 

To  be continued.

Message 26 of 38
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

This is from American Express website today regarding reward redemptions for BCE. 

You can redeem reward dollars for statement credits whenever your total available reward dollar balance is 25 or more. The statement credit will appear on your Card Account within 3 days and will apply to the billing period in which it appears. Reward Dollars redeemed for a statement credit cannot be used to pay your Minimum Payment Due.

Redemption will be in the form of a statement credit of $1 for every reward dollar redeemed. Partial reward dollar redemptions will receive an equivalent statement credit amount (e.g., 32.11 reward dollars can be redeemed for a $32.11 statement credit).

Message 27 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

My understanding is that pretty much no credit card company will allow you to use a statement credit to reduce the amount owing on the current statement, and that on all of them it always carries over and reduces the balance owing in the next period instead. The difference with Amex here is they force you to use a statement credit (I'd forgotten, sorry) whereas other cards let you choose bank deposit--and so I *always* choose bank deposit. 

Also on a lot of cards you don't earn rewards points on statement credit, which reduces the amount of points you earn. I can never remember which cards do that, and which don't, so again a reason to prefer bank deposit in every case. 

The Amex way of doing things makes it pretty awkward but it is not surprising to me at all that they wanted payment for the amount owing in the current period and then consider the statement credit a negative against the next period.

Message 28 of 38
hayhayhayday
Established Member

I have redeemed cash back numerous times with amex and only paid account to $0 , never have been charged interest

Message 29 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My understanding is that pretty much no credit card company will allow you to use a statement credit to reduce the amount owing on the current statement, and that on all of them it always carries over and reduces the balance owing in the next period instead.

Not always. I just checked on My discover account, and this is shown under remaining atatement balance after a $28 redemption.

Your Outstanding Statement Balance is $229.22

$257.25Last Statement Balance
-$28.03One-Time Pending Payment
-$0.00Posted Payment

$229.22Outstanding Statement Balance

At least in the case of Discover, credits are applied drectly to the statement balance, although are not credited towards the minimum due. It still shows $35 for me.

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.