Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCP and gift cards. Need advice from card holders

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: BCP and gift cards. Need advice from card holders

When the OP asked, I think at a certain level of spending--say 20K or above--Amex would care, but not now with the cap.

At $6K per year, Amex couldn't care less how you spend do it.  As always, better to mix in some groceries.

The only points where Amex seems to care how it's accumulated is SPG, and to a lesser extent, MR points.  In this case, they care about points dilution and the watering down of the program, especially with SPG points. 

So, when doing this for SPG points, tread carefully.  Cash on the other hand, Amex doesn't care about.

Message 11 of 14
antae
New Contributor

Keep in mind the grocery 6% cap so you can only get $360 if you buy all gift cards - $75 AF.  Don't think it would be a problem it's not that much cash back.

Amex BCP 25k '11 - Amex PRG '11 - Chase Sapphire 17.5k '95 - Citi Platinum Select 11.5k '93
Message 12 of 14
Gammachu

I personally buy about 400-600 gift card purchases a month aside from the 450ish actual grocery purchases, so basically 1k a month on grocery for about 4 months and haven't gotten any problems from them. I usually get about 70 cash back a month and plan to continue doing so until I reach my cap, which will probably be next year sometime in July (my renewal month is july so I basically won't have a cap this year)
Message 13 of 14
QuantumCredit
New Contributor

I've bought Amazon cards and cell phone cards. I've seen prepaid Amex and Visa cards, but it never crossed my mind to buy those... But I suppose that would be a good way to max out your 6K limit. I suppose one issue with those cards would be plannig your purchases to fit the leftover balance you have on them and you wouldn't be able to get rid of the few dollars left on there or at least not easily, it would take some extra planning, because you can't refill them or at least that's my understanding. Say you have an Amex gift card with $15 left, do merchants allow you to use up that card and then pay the rest with a regular CC? Idk, seems complicated, but if anyone has been doing that pls let us know how that works.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.