Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCP or Discover IT? Please Help

tag
FBHampton

BCP or Discover IT? Please Help

Long time reader, first time poster

Which card is better?  On 1/1/2014 I was approved for a Chase Freedom card with $3000 CL and a Lowe's card with a $700 CL.  I have had a First Community Credit Union card for 2 years and have a CL of $5000.  I also pay this off and make weekly payments if not every other day.  It doesnt have any points or cash back BORING.  This card basically helped me grow my credit.  I am not sure what myFico score is but CK says 723.  I have 1 medical baddie from a dog bite in 2008 that I didnt pay b/c my insurance didnt cover it and really pissed me off.

I want to apply for 1 more card before heading to the garden for 6 months.  I am a single guy and basically just spend money at Sams Club, Sams Club Gas Station (Sams is closer to me than Costco), subway (along with other restaurants and bars), student loan, mortgage and house bills.

Does SamsClub purchases count toward the 6% grocery store cash back for the BCP card?  I would love to get myFico score free every month but also want the 6% on grocery purchases (if Sams and/or Costco counts).  I also think paying $75 a year for a credit card is a mortal sin.  

What would you do if you were me?  Can you suggest a better card?

THANKS Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: BCP or Discover IT? Please Help

Welcome to the forum 

To better help you having your thread moved to CC forum

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 8
w003ptr
Contributor

Sams club is not a grocery store and even if it was, they don't accept Amex (Costco isn't grocery either).  BoA Cash Rewards is a better option for you since it is a MC (you can use it at Sam's Club) and it gets 3% cash back on gas. 

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 3 of 8
FBHampton

They offer a BofA Cash Rewards in a MC?  I just looked and it only shows Visa

Message 4 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@FBHampton wrote:

Which card is better?  On 1/1/2014 I was approved for a Chase Freedom card with $3000 CL and a Lowe's card with a $700 CL.  I have had a First Community Credit Union card for 2 years and have a CL of $5000.  I also pay this off and make weekly payments if not every other day.  It doesnt have any points or cash back BORING.  This card basically helped me grow my credit.  I am not sure what myFico score is but CK says 723.  I have 1 medical baddie from a dog bite in 2008 that I didnt pay b/c my insurance didnt cover it and really pissed me off.

I want to apply for 1 more card before heading to the garden for 6 months.  I am a single guy and basically just spend money at Sams Club, Sams Club Gas Station (Sams is closer to me than Costco), subway (along with other restaurants and bars), student loan, mortgage and house bills.

Does SamsClub purchases count toward the 6% grocery store cash back for the BCP card?  I would love to get myFico score free every month but also want the 6% on grocery purchases (if Sams and/or Costco counts).  I also think paying $75 a year for a credit card is a mortal sin.  

THANKS Smiley Very Happy

Well the BCP is not something I would recommend since it will not give a bonus for Sam's club. The discover it has rotating catagories. The current quarter is 5% back on restaurant and movie spend so that would be a nice benefit for you. Suprisingly Discover doesn't announce their categories up front unlike chase freedom, so I don't know what the other categories will be later in the year. The discover it has no AF, which is also a benefit and it may be a decent card. Student loan and mortgage payments may not be able to be made directly with a credit card (although there are ways around this). 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 8
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

NGFCU (Northrup Grumman Federal Credit Union) has a 1.5% cash back Mastercard.

You could always purchase Sam's gift cards at Walmart with a Fidelity Amex (2% back) then use those gift cards at Sam's.  Or use Amex BCP to buy Mastercard gift cards at any grocery store, which could potentially get you 3.5% back, but that can get time consuming and just flat out annoying.  I usually spend around $500/mo at Sam's and I'm giving those charges to any (Master) card needing minimum spend lately, otherwise I just use my Sam's Club Discover.

Message 6 of 8
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@FBHampton wrote:

THANKS Smiley Very Happy

Welcome to myFICO. DEVIL'S ADVOCATE WARNING: How about both...Smiley Wink?

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 7 of 8
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

If you shop at Sams a lot, a Visa or Amex won't do you any good. You need a MC or Discover as the other two are not accepted. Pretty straightforward.

In that light, the best value you'll get is with Barclaycard MC at Sams. Over 2% in value on all purchases (plus the AF). Quicksilver, if you can get the MC version with no AF, is also good  at 1.5%.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.