Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEST BUY - ARGH......

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BEST BUY - ARGH......

Hi - No, I did not figure it out.  I have not see my stepsister in over 15 years.  I guess they must have done some quick background check and could see my relatives somehow?  I thought about calling Best Buy to see exactly how they know this information.  And why would they ask me if she purchased property in a specific area?  How the heck am I supposed to know?  LOL!  The area they mentioned is the area I grew up in but still...

What is really scary is that the people you speak with are probably all overseas.  I sure hope these banks screen these people because they obviously have loads of personal information on you.  It really freaks me out that they mentioned my stepsister.  Why not my real sister, or my mother?
Message 11 of 19
John060675
Valued Contributor

I think it is inappropriate to ask about other people's info when you are the one applying.  I have never been asked about anyone other than me, but I honestly think I would tell them that I would not answer any questions concerning anyone other than me.

No privacy anymore.  Scary.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The customer service guy said that he needed to verify my identity and would be asking me some questions about where I have lived and people I may know.  I just do not understand why my stepsisters name came up and why they would ask me if she has ever owned property in a certain area.  What does that have to do with me?  On the other hand I guess not many other people would know the answer.  What report are they looking at and how are they seeing the connection.  I have no clue.  It is very scary though.  I think I just might call Best Buy tomorrow and see if I can find out anything just to give me peace of mind.
Message 13 of 19
future
Frequent Contributor

when i applied they did the same thing to me.  they asked me about a uncle who's house was at when i was maybe, ssomewhere between 12 & 14 yrs old. i had no idea of where he could be liveing now. the also asked me about my brother, i mean so many ques, wow!!!!!!!!!!! i didnt think i answered the ques correctly about my uncle but after everything was over i was approved and thats what's counts.  i'm glad everything worked out ok for you.....   CONGRATS ON THE NEW TL
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the new identity theft protection...lol!! I thought it was a bit much when they asked about a county I lived in over 20 years ago with the Air Force.  I was living on base and really had no idea what county it was.....lol!!  Just guessed the one that was familiar, I was only there for school.

My family is so large that in a city the size of Dalls, you are liable to run into someone who knows at least one of mu relatives, if not a good part of the clan.  Hope they don't ask about some of those I don't even know...lol!
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I guess a lot of companies are putting you through the tons of questions.  I really am glad that they are being careful but it is amazing the information that they ask about.  LOL!

I wonder if a lot of people are turned down for cards because either number one - they cannot understand the customer service person and answered the question wrong OR number two - they were asked about something from decades ago and cannot remember.
Message 16 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I went on to one of my credit accounts from my work computer the other day, and since it didn't recognize the computer's I.P., it asked me a security question. Keep in mind that this was one that I had chosen. What is you favorite color?   --!?!?!?!?!?   Smiley Surprised  OK, so my favorite color changes hourly. It took three tries before I got it right.

Luckily, I have a very small family, so the odds are at least 50/50 that I will be able to blurt out the correct names when asked.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, I hate those "favorite" questions. I try to avoid them as much as possible.

The one I love to hate is the "favorite actor/actress." For me, that's usually based on what I've been recently watching!
Message 18 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Here's the worst: What street did you grow up on? Hey, I was an Army brat. I couldn't even begin to remember them, much less pick one that I would remember come typing-in time.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.