Re: BEST CARDS TO APPLY FOR WHILE REBUILDING

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Discover. $2600 just recvd
OpenSky. $300 3 years
Merrick Bank $700 2 mos
Capitol One. $500 2 mos
Total Visa. $450 1 year

I would close Credit One and Total then head into the garden and let your profile grow, in time when your profile matures and you gain access to prime cards (keeper cards), you can also close Merrick and OpenSky, basically any card that offers little to no rewards but charges an annual fee.

I would not close all 4 cards at once especialy if you are rebuilding. If they have no af , or other monthly fees, you want to try and maintain at least 3 credit cards to maximize your Fico score. Yes, you should eventually close those four as your profile progresses. As a rebuilder rewards arent as important as establishing good payment history . What are you current scores? 

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian. 634
Trans. 581
Equifax. 594
Per Credik Karma and Experian apps.
I was told these apps are 20 to 25 point off. Haven't pulled scores from MyFico yet
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have retail accounts
Macys 6 mos
Nords. 2 years
Wal-Mart 3 mos
Target. Just recvd
Shell gas. 6 mos
Kohls. 2 years
Tjmaxx just rcvd
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Discover. $2600 just recvd
OpenSky. $300 3 years
Merrick Bank $700 2 mos
Capitol One. $500 2 mos
Total Visa. $450 1 year

I would close Credit One and Total then head into the garden and let your profile grow, in time when your profile matures and you gain access to prime cards (keeper cards), you can also close Merrick and OpenSky, basically any card that offers little to no rewards but charges an annual fee.

I would not close all 4 cards at once especialy if you are rebuilding. If they have no af , or other monthly fees, you want to try and maintain at least 3 credit cards to maximize your Fico score. Yes, you should eventually close those four as your profile progresses. As a rebuilder rewards arent as important as establishing good payment history . What are you current scores? 

That's why I said to leave Merrick and OpenSky alone until gaining access to prime cards, but now that OP disclosed having a handful of store cards, the point is kinda moot and he should be free to clean house. OP, the score provided by Experian app should be your true Experian FICO8, you can get all 3 FICO scores at creditchecktotal.com for $1 7 day trail, just make sure to cancel before the trial is over to avoid being charged the full price.
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay great! Thanks so much, I'm learning this forum and was slow in giving the full picture/framework of my credit. My apologies. So I'm getting I shouldn't close anything right now, correct?
Message 16 of 22
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Okay great! Thanks so much, I'm learning this forum and was slow in giving the full picture/framework of my credit. My apologies. So I'm getting I shouldn't close anything right now, correct?

You have "crashed, tanked, destroyed, ruined" you credit score by getting a lot of cards in a short period of time.  You only need 3 cards including store/retail cards for 830+ Fico scores, and to show good payment history.  If you pay in full every month and don't carry a balance, it makes no difference if you keep all of them or get rid of 10 of them.  You need to stop getting cards and let time heal the wounds.

My Recommendations:   ( Personal opinion only)

I would get rid of Credit One, Total, Merrick and OpenSky  (Now)

I would also get rid of any other cards that offers little to no rewards but charge an annual fee. 

Let 6 months of normal spend and use occur and review rewards and spend patterns.

Cut the store card number in half.

Keep the others for another 6 months and then see if any more need to be cut.

Keep at least 3, but no need for more than 5 unless the benefits are worth it.

After another 6 months if your scores support it you can get 1 or 2 better cards and look at the value of your current lineup.

I keep cards with good rewards/benefits and clean house if a card has little value.

I find 4-7 cards the sweet spot between rewards and time managing accounts for my spend.

The number of cards needed is related to how much time you want to spend managing them,  how much value a card is worth, and your threshold of card value verses  your time. The value of a card is different for each persons spend and relates to where and  amount of money one puts through a card. High spend can support more cards than someone with small spend. Some get cards because the are pretty or they just want an "Amex" or "Chase". Others get a card because it make 3 dollars/mo more than the cards they have. I need a monthly value >  value of my time checking/managing another card.

My card value number is $10/mo.  If a card will get me more, I will consider getting it.

Your threshold might be $5, many on this forum have about 2$.

The lower your threshold the more cards you will have.

There is always another card to make a dollar or two.

Example:

I have the BofW 3% for grocery, with $500/mo spend I receive $15 in rewards each month.

I could get the AMEX BCP and receive 22/mo after the AF.

One needs to decide if it is worth lowering you AAoA, an inquire and managing another card for $7/mo.

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice! Okay. Makes sense. So, "get rid of", meaning close the accounts Out? Cut them, or call an completely close them? Please have patience with me, I'm not a guru YET 😉
Message 18 of 22
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Nice! Okay. Makes sense. So, "get rid of", meaning close the accounts Out? Cut them, or call an completely close them? Please have patience with me, I'm not a guru YET 😉

Yes, they meant close the accounts. If you want to close the accounts, call the number on the back of the card you want to close and they should be able to take care of it for you. I agree with the others saying to close the Credit One, Open Sky, etc.

Dude... you got a SL of $2,500 with Discover. I only got $1,500 and my scores were almost 700 when I applied. Anyways, these things take time. You just need to make sure you make your payments on time and you'll see some improvements in the future. Do you have any collections/baddies on any of your reports?

Also, if you want to check your actual FICO scores, go to CreditCheckTotal dot com and you can pull all 3 for $1. Just make sure you cancel within 7 days. You can do it online by going to your account page, then payment options, and there will be a link somewhere in there. If you ever need any help with that, just message me and I'd be happy to help you out.

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I have a BK date back to 2011, it's been a struggle trying to get my credit back on track. I'll call and close Opensky, Credit One...what about Merrick? Also, how much damage will this do to my credit?
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.