Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE of Balance Transfer from Apple Card to Another

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BEWARE of Balance Transfer from Apple Card to Another

I'm not comfortable providing that, but I appreciate your interest. 

Message 21 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This was late in October, they may have not asked for the CVV. You guys are a weird bunch! Haha

What is so weird about trying to get to the bottom of a situation?

It is very weird to have a credit card company want or need a CVV or expiration date so it makes sense that we would question that happening. 

What really strikes me is that they didn't ask for a payment address. They wouldn't be able to get this from a virtual credit card number which is what the Apple Card in your Wallet is. 

Message 22 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This was late in October, they may have not asked for the CVV. You guys are a weird bunch! Haha

It is very weird to have a credit card company want or need a CVV or expiration date so it makes sense that we would question that happening. 

What really strikes me is that they didn't ask for a payment address. They wouldn't be able to get this from a virtual credit card number which is what the Apple Card in your Wallet is. 

Hello,

I have uploaded a screen shot of the requested information. My apologies for misremembering it requiring expiration or CVV. 

https://imgur.com/a/ENzxTg7

Thanks

Message 23 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be clear - The above was ALL the information they requested. No address, phone number, blood type, zodiac sign. 

Message 24 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I have uploaded a screen shot of the requested information. My apologies for misremembering it requiring expiration or CVV. 

https://imgur.com/a/ENzxTg7

Thanks

So as I suspected they were using the card number to find the information for the creditor. The problem is that the credit card number supplied in the Wallet app is a virtual card number and should have been flagged. 

Keep us posted on how it turns out. Citi shouldn't have sent the money to begin with though. 

Message 25 of 40
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

This is the magic of Apple!   If say Barclays had done something similar, forums would be in uproar....

I'm uproarius!  FWIW the way around this would be to use the "deposit to checking" option (if available) for a BT and then pull the payment from your checking account through the Wallet app after it has been deposited.  I am sure there are going to be a lot of horror stories coming around in the coming months when people buy shiny new MacBook Pros thinking they can just BT it later after earning the rewards.

I've never seen a BT offer that doesn't charge a fee of <3% which the cashback one would gain this. Is there one that is less or what would be the point of that?

Message 26 of 40
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@ToxikPH wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

This is the magic of Apple!   If say Barclays had done something similar, forums would be in uproar....

I'm uproarius!  FWIW the way around this would be to use the "deposit to checking" option (if available) for a BT and then pull the payment from your checking account through the Wallet app after it has been deposited.  I am sure there are going to be a lot of horror stories coming around in the coming months when people buy shiny new MacBook Pros thinking they can just BT it later after earning the rewards.

I've never seen a BT offer that doesn't charge a fee of <3% which the cashback one would gain this. Is there one that is less or what would be the point of that?

Apple purchases earn more on the card.  Many CUs offer 0% and $0 balance transfers.

Message 27 of 40
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Unless and until GS makes a decision on whether to accept the payment or not, this thread has run its course for the time being.  OP, once a resolution has been reached, please feel free to start a new thread.

Message 28 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

In Re: BEWARE of Balance Transfer from Apple Card to Another

I'm going to reference a thread by @Verdictator where he had an issue with a BT on his Apple Card:  

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/BEWARE-of-Balance-Transfer-from-Apple-Card-to-Another/...

It seems the consensus was that it is not possible to make a payment on your Apple Card unless it's via the app.  Well, the consensus is wrong.

It most certainly is possible to use your bank's billpay function to make a payment -- an electronic payment no less -- to pay on your Apple Card.  I have done that at least 1/2 a dozen times already without any problems whatsoever.  I made my first couple of payments via the app without problems, but got annoyed when you couldn't pay unless the charge had finally posted and your account showed a balance.  I'm one of the few who actually has the money I spend before I even spend it and also who likes to pay most things off as soon as I can right after making the purchase.

So, I set up a biller on my Citibank billpay and made a payment from my Citibank checking account.  When setting up the biller, billpay presents you with a list of matches to your biller's name and one match was GS Bank.  So I selected GS Bank, plugged in my virtual Apple Card number and made the payment.  Most BillPay [ayments in my experience take two business days, but this payment proved to be different.  It arrived overnight.  I made the payment around 9p PST and at 6a my Apple Card had been credited.    

Since the first time several months ago, I've done it at least 1/2 a dozen more times and never any issues at all.  Each payment arrived lightening fast.  The payments reflect on the app and my Apple Card statements as "Payment: Offline Payment" and then the date.

Disclaimer:  Since each bank doesn't necessarily use the same backend billpay provider, it's possible that this would not work if your account is at a different bank.

Message 29 of 40
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: In Re: BEWARE of Balance Transfer from Apple Card to Another

The consensus was not wrong as what was being posted is what is in the T&C for the card. You found a workaround, one that not everyone may be able to take advantage of, but those that can, will be happy to use.

Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.