Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK friendly and not so friendly lenders

tag
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

BK friendly and not so friendly lenders

Someone was recently asking about CC companies policies toward BK. Here is my personal experience. I had a BK-business related in 2012. Only included a couple of accts that were non mortgage related. My first CC was with credit one - unsecured. I since cancelled not wanting to pay the AF.  My FICO is now avg of 700 3 bureaus. Cap One, Barclays, Discover, Sears, Kohls, Chevron/Texaco and Target all gave me CL with the highest from Cap One 20k. Chase declined me but hinted approval might happen in another 12 months. B of A and AMEX both said hell no and dont bother re-applying until the BK is off my record. I was able to get a decent 7% auto loan (2014) vehicle for 30 k from CHASE. I have not tried Citibank due to reading other posts that they are not BK friendly. So there you have it for what its worth from a newbie! 

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: BK friendly and not so friendly lenders

If your willing to take a HP I would try citi if there is a card you want. It's all YMMV anyways so perhaps they will accept you.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this info. Great to know ahead of time, if in similar boat

Message 3 of 10
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Amex, Chase, and Citi have all been un-obtainable for me after BK.  Only card I burned in BK was Orchard Bank for about 900 bucks (rest was medical).   I have my Discover card up to $13,000, Sallie Mae at $10,000, BofA at $2000, Amazon at $2600, Best Buy at $2000, and 2 Capital 1 QS's totaling $6500.  Had savings and checking at Chase and got declined last year for Freedom & Slate, tried for Amex end of last year same thing not a chance, and Citi told me I was doing very well after BK and with handling my Citi issued BB card but that a Citi card wasnt possible.  Really would like an Amex Everyday, Chase Saphire, and Citi Simplicity....looks like thats about 6 years away Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 10
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

Amex, Chase, and Citi have all been un-obtainable for me after BK.  Only card I burned in BK was Orchard Bank for about 900 bucks (rest was medical).   I have my Discover card up to $13,000, Sallie Mae at $10,000, BofA at $2000, Amazon at $2600, Best Buy at $2000, and 2 Capital 1 QS's totaling $6500.  Had savings and checking at Chase and got declined last year for Freedom & Slate, tried for Amex end of last year same thing not a chance, and Citi told me I was doing very well after BK and with handling my Citi issued BB card but that a Citi card wasnt possible.  Really would like an Amex Everyday, Chase Saphire, and Citi Simplicity....looks like thats about 6 years away Smiley Sad

You can probably try Chase after you hit the 5 or 6 year mark.  And you'll need to recon.  They will make you plead your case with a BK on your CR.

Citi preapproved me after 8 years.  

I haven't tried Amex yet. 

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

Do you have the Amazon Visa or store card?

Message 6 of 10
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

Do you have the Amazon Visa or store card?

Store Card, the Visa is Chase who's declined me more times than I can count.

Message 7 of 10
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

AmEx , Chase, Citi, Discover aren't BK friendly even if you didn't burn them.

I was approved for a $5k Delta AmEx... 5 years after filing Ch 13.  Denied the previous year.  I have been unable to get any type of CLI... they deny due to my Ch 13.

I was approved for a $1500 Discover at the same time as the AmEx and had also been denied the previous year.  I've gotten one $500 CLI so far to $2k.

Still denied for Citi and Chase.  I applied as recently as 6 months ago when I had no apps and no new accounts in a year and was denied by both citing the Ch 13.  I tried to recon Chase and even requested a $500 Freedom to get in the door... still denied.

None of the above were included my Ch 13.

Capital One has been nice and I have a $6700 Sallie Mae with Barclays.

Citi and Chase?  They'll be throwing cards at me in a few months I'm sure after my Ch 13 falls off my reports... my scores should go up to 750ish across the board.  I don't know if I'll apply though, I've made it this far without them.

FICO8 current as of : 4-12-24 EQ: 724 TU: 702 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

Wait, if you have BestBuy card -isn't it issued by Citibank? Is it the Store card or the Visa Version?

Message 9 of 10
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

im nearing the 7 year mark with my bk 13.  it falls off this upcoming april.  that said, i was approved for my first amex in jan 2015.  shortly after that i was approved for amex everyday and the amex hilton honors card.  i have discover, barclays and cap1 which has provided my highest limits.  all the cards in my sig have been approved with a bk reporting, beginning at or near the 6yr mark after filing. actual discharge was in 2012 after i completed my 3yr payment plan.  

getting discover and amex is entirely possible with a bk reporting.   i have an auto loan through chase 4%.   but i have not tried citi or chase credit cards due to so many people saying they will auto deny with bk on file. 

after my bk falls off i will try citi and see how that goes.  ive heard citi and chase co branded cards are easier and more bk friendly but im not willing to take a hp & denial :-)

edit:  if you go for amex, id suggest going for the amex delta gold skymiles card first.   garden it for 3-6 months and apply for everyday.  when i got my amex skymiles card my experian score was 688

fico scores - March 2024:
TU - 727 | EX - 732 | EQ - 736 |
TCL - 168K - UTIL - less than 1%
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.