Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Americard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOA Americard

So have a question really kind of annoyed at the moment with BOA. BOA was the first Secure card I got when I restarted building my credit that was back in Feb 2014 with Deposit of $300. Just about 3 months ago I called to get my deposit back which they did and turned my card into unsecured. Now I really don't get any rewards from this card even after a few attempts trying to upgrade to Rewards version they said It can not be done. I don't even want to use the card since my other cards much better plus higher CL. SHould I just draw it and leave it till they decide to close it or just close it on my own? In feb 2016 will be two years having this card yes this is currently my oldest card followed by CO QS1 which is 6 months. Le sigh advice?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: BOA Americard

Just leave it and let them close it on their own if they want. Let it continue to age and factor into AAoA.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I was thinking the same just wanted a second option working them graveyard shift kinda slows the mind down LOL

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it were me, and not being used, I would close it. It will still be on your reports for 10 years even closed. One less card to manage.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

So after talking to a few friends of mine I finally said good bye to BOA credit card it is now cancelled and the CSR was rude >.> and I could barely understand a word she was saying. I explained to her the reason she just kinda shrugged and say ohwell I can go ahead to process to cancel the card lol Welp Thanks!

Message 5 of 15
axlm
Regular Contributor

Sorry to hear, but just wanted to say that hasn't been my experience with BofA.

Like you, I opened a $300 secured Americard in March 2014. After a couple of auto CLIs, I asked for graduation in Jan this year and was approved, plus approved for a new Cash Rewards. The plain Americard was sockdrawered, and periodically I would ask for it to be converted to a BetterBalance. Each time I was denied, but offered to convert to another CashRewards (no thanks, what would I do with 2 of those?). Recently, I just went ahead and asked for a PC to their Travel Rewards and was approved, too.

So it definitely is possible to convert those BofA unsecured cards, nt sure why they gave such a hard time.

Last update: NOV 2022

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure either....I even have banking with them for almost 9 years so annoyed. Oh also if you do bank with them and if you have ever overdrafted they would use that as well to not approve you for a card. They did it to me.

Message 7 of 15
drboxing
Established Contributor

Had a BOA USAirways visa and filed BK-13 in 2007, attempted 12 months ago but was denied d/t previous relationship with BOA (BK). But was approved today for only $500 it's a start.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im with you Dodgey. I called to have the AF on my recently unsecured cash rewards card removed and the csr was very very unfriendly. Said it absolutely cannot be done. I havent attempted a second call yet but i will callback. It just leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you deal with a rude agent.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you go to the branch? You get better result talking with the branch banker.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.