cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA, Chase or Citi - Which bank is better with CLIs?

tag
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: BOA, Chase or Citi - Which bank is better with CLIs?

I have had brilliant success with limits from all three of the issuers. Unlike the others, I have had massive difficulties with American Express cards.

Message 11 of 16
Open123
Super Contributor

For me, I've found Chase to be extremely generous with CLs, while Citi and BofA less so.  

Message 12 of 16
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

BoA has been kind to me regarding CLI. I've always had to ask though. The first increase I asked for I called and asked that it be a SP, and not a HP, the CSR made sure it happened. The second time, I did the request online and it was a HP. I think if you call into a CSR and request a SP, they can do a SP.

I haven't had my Citi card long enough to ask for a CLI, and my Chase card limit is at 5k and right now I see no need to ask for a CLI because from what I've heard Chase requires HP for CLI (Citi does as well).

I agree with the others about looking at Discover and AMEX. AMEX I requested a limit increase and received it, Discover gave me an increase randomly, but I had been carrying a balance and paying on the balance biweekly, and I never got close to the limit on the card. So they probably trusted that they would get their money back.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 13 of 16
Cory
Established Contributor

I would second Bank of America! Their customer service in my experience has been extremely pleasant!

They have been very generous to me so far. I've gotten a CLI, 4 out of 5 times. And I am just an average consumer, $36K annually salary, live pay check to pay check. No large investement account at BofA, or anythng else. I do manage my credit well enough. I am due another CLI, but will wait for 2014 if I can. By that time, my scores would be higher, and debt paid down significately.

It is interesting to know how/& why some people seem to have success asking for what they want from bank A, but doesn't at bank B. From my Fico forum experience, and I'm stating Fico forum only, BofA is "liked" or "revered", with 30% "liked", and 70% "disliked" I don't know the broader statistics, but this is only my Fico forum observation.

Message 14 of 16
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

No experience with BOA

Chase, I got auto cli on my freedom at 4-5 month of opening.

I am sure that I will get the same on my CSP.

Citi, I got 2 cli so far from them, both are SP and initiated online. Both 6 months apart.

Anything less then 6 months apart may get you an HP. If you are cutting it close, let say 2 weeks before 6 months like I did, they will just send email saying that you recently got CLI and not eligible, you still can push it and get an HP.

This is where people got mixed up about YMMV. It's simple, every 6 month SP CLI via online or call them, anything more is an HP.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 15 of 16
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@Cory wrote:

I would second Bank of America! Their customer service in my experience has been extremely pleasant!

They have been very generous to me so far. I've gotten a CLI, 4 out of 5 times. And I am just an average consumer, $36K annually salary, live pay check to pay check. No large investement account at BofA, or anythng else. I do manage my credit well enough. I am due another CLI, but will wait for 2014 if I can. By that time, my scores would be higher, and debt paid down significately.

It is interesting to know how/& why some people seem to have success asking for what they want from bank A, but doesn't at bank B. From my Fico forum experience, and I'm stating Fico forum only, BofA is "liked" or "revered", with 30% "liked", and 70% "disliked" I don't know the broader statistics, but this is only my Fico forum observation.

Thanks for your honesty! Glad to hear that BOA has decent customer service.

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.