BOA American Express card. Would they do it? Will there be another

inquiry?

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: BOA PRODUCT CHANGE

Most of the time BOA is very good with product change. You can call them and ask them, they will do it gladly.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ash!  There've been several threads on this.  To answer your question about an inq, many posters have been able to do a product change without incurring an additional hard inq. 

One thing discussed recently was the possibility of needing a minimum CL of $5K to change from the plain platinum plus visa (aka emerging credit visa) to a  BofA rewards card (I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that the card used to be secured).  I've called a couple of times to confim this tidbit, but no CSR would tell me specifically.  It seems to have some validity because I can't recall if any poster with the platinum plus visa has been able to do a product change to the Amex (or any other non-platinum plus card).  At best I've heard of them getting the "world points" feature added. 

I would love to know if anyone has successfully managed a product change from the platinum plus visa (with a CL of less than $5K) to a regular rewards card.  I've been shot down twice, and I need to know if I should persevere or if I should wait until my CL is increased to $5K and then try again.

Anyone?

In the meantime, ash, I think you should give it a try.  You might also want to double-check and ask the CSR if there will be hard inq for the change.  Good luck and keep us posted!

Message Edited by lurknomore on 04-02-2008 08:37 PM
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for you reply my platinum visa card has limit of 11,000. I will call them

first thing in the morning for product change and let you guys know.

Thanks again.

lurknomore wrote:
Hi ash!  There've been several threads on this.  To answer your question about an inq, many posters have been able to do a product change without incurring an additional hard inq. 

One thing discussed recently was the possibility of needing a minimum CL of $5K to change from the plain platinum plus visa (aka emerging credit visa) to a  BofA rewards card (I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that the card used to be secured).  I've called a couple of times to confim this tidbit, but no CSR would tell me specifically.  It seems to have some validity because I can't recall if any poster with the platinum plus visa has been able to do a product change to the Amex (or any other non-platinum plus card).  At best I've heard of them getting the "world points" feature added. 

I would love to know if anyone has successfully managed a product change from the platinum plus visa (with a CL of less than $5K) to a regular rewards card.  I've been shot down twice, and I need to know if I should persevere or if I should wait until my CL is increased to $5K and then try again.

Anyone?

In the meantime, ash, I think you should give it a try.  You might also want to double-check and ask the CSR if there will be hard inq for the change.  Good luck and keep us posted!

Message Edited by lurknomore on 04-02-2008 08:37 PM

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had my mom do a product change from a plat plus to a Visa sig with worldpoints. Her CL was $6000 and no problems. It did take about 2 billing cycles for the new card to come though. No credit inquiry at all.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did call Bank of America today for product change, they changed it

to world points credit card. I asked for Bank of America American

Express card and the rep told me that I will have to apply for

that card and it will be another inquiry.

At least I got world points card with rewards without any inquiry.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats ash! Long time no see. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would call and try to talk to another CSR. I called and changed my platium plus to the BOA amex, no problems. I got the card in about a month.
Message 8 of 14
creditninja9000
Regular Contributor

I think I might try to get my Platinum Plus changed to an Amex also......I'd suppose they get the same benefits as any other Amex? And also wouldn't have to deal with Amex being so stingy as of lately.
Message 9 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

You obviously won't have access to the American Express rewards stuff, but all the rest should be there--buyer protection, etc. Be sure to click the info button and terms and conditions button on the card site first.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.