Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Platinum Visa, subprime?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOA Platinum Visa, subprime?

I got a BOA secured card about a year ago with a balance of $300.  After about 7 months they sent me my money back and upped my limit to $800.  My question is -- Is this a subprime card? 

It is listed in my BOA accounts as BOA Platinum Plus Visa.  It has about 19.24% int.  The low CL and high int. imply that it is a subprime card.  Does BOA do both prime and subprime?

Thanks. 

Message Edited by rebuilder on 09-06-2007 09:19 AM
Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BOA Platinum Visa, subprime?

Even Amex has cards with high interest rates and no one would breathe a word about them being subprime. Although you existing limits can disqualify you from other cards, limits are increased  on regular review as a reflection of your payment history. Whether a card is secured or not does not classify it as subprime. Some secured cards don't even report the secured status.
Message 5 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA is so far removed froom subprime, that there is no comparison to make.
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message Edited by credit4me on 08-31-2007 10:32 AM
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brammy,  even secured? You learn something everyday on here...
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even Amex has cards with high interest rates and no one would breathe a word about them being subprime. Although you existing limits can disqualify you from other cards, limits are increased  on regular review as a reflection of your payment history. Whether a card is secured or not does not classify it as subprime. Some secured cards don't even report the secured status.
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's fantastic news.  Thanks Brammy. 

I planned on keeping this card anyways since it is the first card I got when reestablishing my credit & therefore want to keep the history, but I also, in wanting to establish long-term credit, want to make sure I have a prime card.

I guess I should just hold on to this card and wait for my CR to improve, then request CLI and request a lower int. rate?? 

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep the card, keep utilization low and BofA will gladly give you more.  Great news about the upgrade!!!  You are well on your way!
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

BoA just approved me world mc with 8k CL, haven't got card yet but will try for CLI when activate. They pulled EX mine was 638 Fico at time. Smiley Tongue Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 18
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, Congrats! That's a huge CL for your score. Do you have other CCs with similar CLs?
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a BOA question.  Off and on, I get these letters from ca stating that my dw owes them money.  She wrote them back many, years ago, (no she did not request a signature or return receipt), that was before we knew better.   We have never had an account withe them, it has never (that we are aware of) shown up on her cr, but, if we were to try for a bank card with them, would her info still be in their memory banks?
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.