Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Preapproval Offers -*Update* They Gave Me More Whooo Hoooo

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOA Preapproval Offers -*Update* They Gave Me More Whooo Hoooo

Went to the preapproval link and received 3 offers: Rewards AMEX, VISA Platinum Plus, and Americard VISA. Credit line on all shows $1500. All have rewards except Platinum Plus.

AMEX: APR 9.99% or 15.99%/  0% APR for first 12 billing cycles (not sure if just for BT and cash advance)
Platinum Plus: Variable APR Prime + 2.99%, 5.99% or 9.99% (0% APR for first 12 statement closing dates)
Americard: Variable APR Prime + 3.99% or 5.99% (0% APR for first 6 statement dates)

Not sure which to apply for. Current credit mix is 2 store cards (Macy's and Target). 4 CC's (Cap1, DMB Discover, HSBC, and Orchard). Have HFC LOC (revolving credit line) for $8000.  I was thinking of the AMEX so I can charge at Costco, but not sure if it is the best option of the three.

I chatted online with a csr who stated if I was concerned with rebuilding I should look at the VISA platinum plus because it has a more relaxed credit requirement which provides more opportunity approval (his words not mine). I then asked about the soft/hard inquiry for the offers I received. He stated:

Ken: the pre approval was soft, when you accept it does a hard

Ken: Preapproved means that you have been invited to apply based on the information the bank had for you at the time of the offer. Since your personal information or credit may change at any time, your application is still subject to approval.

Ken: it means more than likely approved based on what you entered

Ken: ... that pre approval link is usually very accurate if it gave offers you should be ok with any of them

I really want a prime card and hope this is one.  I want to get the best bang for my hard pull so I am soliciting ... no begging for advice.  Thanks in advance.

Message Edited by PurpleHaze on 04-24-2008 02:42 PM

Message Edited by PurpleHaze on 04-30-2008 02:46 PM
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: BOA Preapproval Offers -Help Me Make The Right Decision

I like the amex because it gives a $50 statement credit after first purchase
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same offers you have (those are pretty much the same three everyone gets if they get offers for unsecured cards at all), and they also preapproved me for $1500.

I chose the Amex, because it comes with a couple of things the others don't.  1) $50 statement credit on your first statement and 2) Amex purchase protections and extended warranty protections.

It's also one sharp looking card.

They pulled just EX for me, although some have reported that they pull EX and TU both.  At the time I had EX 741 with 7 inquiries and 9 new accounts.  I was instantly approved for $2500 at the 9.99% APR for purchases.  (To answer your question, the 0% for 12 months applies to BTs only.)

I believe that everything the rep told you is right.  While YMMV as always, I have never seen someone declined for a BofA card after they received the online preapproval.  They may give you a low initial CL, but I doubt they will flat out deny you once you get the online offers.

As a side note, once I received the Rewards Amex in the mail and started using it, I checked my online offers again (just for grins), and saw I was preapproved for the Accelerated Rewards Amex.  I called a credit analyst yesterday, and she was able to seamlessly upgrade my Rewards Amex card I've had only a couple of weeks into an Accelerated Rewards Amex just on the basis of my existing preapproval.  No new account and no new inquiry.  It was a good day for me.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both.  I am only at 645, so was afraid of a decline.  He said that if you don't accept immediately, the system times out for security purposes and the offers won't be available again for 72 hours.  I will let you know how it goes.  It is added incentive to know you received the accelerated rewards so quickly Cheddar.

This is considered a prime card right?
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well if it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all.  I applied and received the following response:

Thank you for submitting a credit card application.

Your business is appreciated and careful consideration is being given to your request, but an instant decision cannot be provided at this time.

You will receive a written response within the next 30 days.

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

PurpleHaze wrote:
He said that if you don't accept immediately, the system times out for security purposes and the offers won't be available again for 72 hours.

This may have changed, but that was never true for me.  If you look at the offers page, it should give you a date the offers expire in the upper left hand corner.  The date should be 4-6 weeks from the date you got the offers the first time.  Once they expire, they go away for a couple of weeks, but then if you still qualify, new offers take their place.  (Usually the same cards but perhaps with different preapproved CLs.)

PurpleHaze wrote:
It is added incentive to know you received the accelerated rewards so quickly Cheddar.

I don't know if they do this as a matter of policy, but I'm inclined to think they made an exception for me.  I was told a couple of times by front line CSRs that it couldn't be done, but I finally called the Credit Analyst number and pleaded my case with a supervisor in that department, and she took care of it for me right then and there.  If it were normal policy I probably wouldn't have had to make 3 calls and speak with about 12 different people to finally get it done.

PurpleHaze wrote:

Absolutely!  No question.

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I applied and received the following response: Thank you for submitting a credit card application. Your business is appreciated and careful consideration is being given to your request, but an instant decision cannot be provided at this time. You will receive a written response within the next 30 days.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
He said that if you don't accept immediately, the system times out for security purposes and the offers won't be available again for 72 hours.
This may have changed, but that was never true for me.  If you look at the offers page, it should give you a date the offers expire in the upper left hand corner.  The date should be 4-6 weeks from the date you got the offers the first time.  Once they expire, they go away for a couple of weeks, but then if you still qualify, new offers take their place.  (Usually the same cards but perhaps with different preapproved CLs.)

@Anonymous wrote:
It is added incentive to know you received the accelerated rewards so quickly Cheddar.

I don't know if they do this as a matter of policy, but I'm inclined to think they made an exception for me.  I was told a couple of times by front line CSRs that it couldn't be done, but I finally called the Credit Analyst number and pleaded my case with a supervisor in that department, and she took care of it for me right then and there.  If it were normal policy I probably wouldn't have had to make 3 calls and speak with about 12 different people to finally get it done.

@Anonymous wrote:

Absolutely!  No question.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

PurpleHaze wrote:
Well if it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all.  I applied and received the following response:

Thank you for submitting a credit card application.

Your business is appreciated and careful consideration is being given to your request, but an instant decision cannot be provided at this time.

You will receive a written response within the next 30 days.

This is actually standard for BofA.  Keep your hopes up.  It doesn't mean anything one way or the other.  I was actually shocked when I got an instant decision because the 30-day message is SOP for them.

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok thanks ... so no need to call a backdoor number or anything like that?
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Couldn't hurt to call the credit analyst number, although you may want to give them a little time to actually review your CR first.  I'm sure that number is in Sylvia's Backdoor Numbers thread.  Sorry, I don't have it on me at the moment.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.