cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Secured - Non Secured. AF is only $39 but man it still sucks to pay.

tag
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

BOA Secured - Non Secured. AF is only $39 but man it still sucks to pay.

Had my secured card manually graduated. Talked and asked 2 reps + 1 analyst to either PC me to another product with no annual fee or just waive it since on their website it says "no annual fee" for that particular card.

All 3 said PC not possible (I've read on here ppl have been able to do so). Waive AF not possible since the secured card even though graduated is a different product (looks and functions the same to me).

Anybody with updated info on this issue? Either a successful PC or waived AF on the BOA Americard MC? I dont want to close the account since it's my oldest account (if you are reading this BOA Man Mad Man Mad)

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BOA Secured - Non Secured. AF is only $39 but man it still sucks to pay.

Got the same issue. Keeping it regardless as the 3/2/1 rewards are nice to have and I don't want to waste more HP for now, but I'd also be interested in any tips.

Message 2 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, it's really how the product originated and was coded during its initial set up.

In a variety of cases, the AF can be waived as a courtesy (YEMV). However, if the AF is part of the life cycle of the product, then it's a permanent feature. You can always contact them in the future in the event that some of these BoA product tranches get "refreshed" and see whether your account becomes eligible to have the AF removed permanently.
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my case, I tried to have the AF refunded this year. Request denied.

Message 4 of 19
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

Newbie here. What's 3/2/1 rewards?

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 5 of 19
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

I was told the same after my card was unsecured. They say its in the card holder agreement. Just a BS excuse to keep charging you the same old AF. There's a reason why Bofa profits are in the billions. 🙂

They refused to remove it for me as well. Just waived it one time only on multiple requests. Guess I'll be getting. AF fee letter again soon.

5k+ CLs: Chase Amazon, Cap1 QS1,
10k+ CLs: BofA Cash Rewards, Amex Cash Magnet, Citi DC, Barclays Uber, Citi Premier, Chase Saphire Preff,Cap1 Savor1

Torch bearer of the Bucketeers' Society. Shamefully carrying a bucketed Cap One QS1 with AF & zero chance of a PC.
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kudosalert wrote:
Newbie here. What's 3/2/1 rewards?

It refers to the 3% / 2% / 1% cash back you get with BofA Cash Rewards

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/cash-back-credit-card/

I had it straight from the beginning on my secured card (apparently, being denied on the unsecured card unlocks the application for a secured rewards card). However, I heard of people who could get the Cash Rewards added to the standard card after it graduated. You still pay the AF though.

My fee for this year will post at the end of the month. I'll try once again to have it waived. Should they refuse, I will close it and I'm done with BofA.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would probably cancel it. It will still report in your AAoA for 10 years. I just wouldn't be willing to continue paying that AF for 10 more years.
Close and move on if it's done it's job. It won't hurt your age. If they aren't budging on PC or canceling the AF then you are kind of stuck. 🤷🏽‍♀️
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try to call BofA's Sr. Credit Analyst at (866) 618-4585 and ask if your AF can be waived. If the first person you talk to won't do it, then hang up and call again for another rep. I was able to have the AF on my father's Platinum card waived thru that contact number two months ago.

Message 9 of 19
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Maybe things have changed but I did the minimum $300 BoA secured card back in May 2015 and got them to unsecure around 8 months and they removed the annual fee at that time, I had included a BoA card in my 2010 BK. About a year later I called in and got them to upgrade it to the 1-2-3 Rewards card, and got a CLI to $1800. Today it has a $5k CL and I also have a Travel Rewards card also with $5k CL. I recommend the BoA secured card as one of the better secured cards.

And new apps for the secured card no longer has an AF, so you might use that in your very polite argument. And I've always had best results with this bckdoor number: 800-824-5895 (secured & partially secured accts.). I tried the Sr. Credit Analyst once and he couldn't get rid of me fast enough.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.