cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Secured - Non Secured. AF is only $39 but man it still sucks to pay.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BOA Secured - Non Secured. AF is only $39 but man it still sucks to pay.

Thank you.

@Anonymous wrote:

Try to call BofA's Sr. Credit Analyst at (866) 618-4585 and ask if your AF can be waived. If the first person you talk to won't do it, then hang up and call again for another rep. I was able to have the AF on my father's Platinum card waived thru that contact number two months ago.

Thanks.

Called this number. Two times.

First time, I got somebody telling me the usual bull**bleep** excuse -- it was on your agreement so I can't do anything.

Second time, I got a much nicer person that did send a request to the "Executive Office" to have this fee removed, telling me that they should follow up within one week. Definitly far from my expectations, but still much better than anything I got until now.

Wait and see.

Message 11 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

If your card is only a year old or so , closing it due to oldest card really isnt a valid excuse to keep it open were you to decide to close. Thats not really old per se. I understand not wanting to pay AF but one cant blame Boa for issuing a card with AF that the individual chose to accept and then upset they dont want to waive it. Use a card for what its purpose is and move on once its served its purpose. Secured cards are meant to help get to a unsecured card.
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is true. Reason is not AAoA. Reason is that I like this card to complement my others with Cash Rewards. That being said, it is not worth either one of the anual fee or another HP.

I’m insisting on this because my banker specifically told me that a card graduates to the Cash Rewards, exactly with the same terms (this, no AF). Part of their argument at the time was precisely that this is a card that evolves with time, not one that is stuck for years with an AF (that BTW has been removed from their secured card now)
Message 13 of 19
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

Yup I was very polite all 3 times. From what everyone is saying there is a higher chance of them waiving it versus completely removing the AF which makes me think it's probably time to cancel the card. The next AF will post in August so I'll call one more time in July to see if they can do a PC to a card with no AF, otherwise i'll cancel it.

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 14 of 19
Yeliaba1
Frequent Contributor

I opened my secured card a year ago (May 2018) as a Cash Rewards 321.  They immediately charged the annual fee.  The card graduated in October with a CLI.  Didn't worry about the annual fee at the time as it was already paid.  Feb of this year I called ahead of the anniversary date to ask about removing the annual fee.  I was told it was already removed.  Reviewing my transaction I see no sign they slipped it in.  I do have some investments with them (not a lot) and have a checking and savings.

If it had an annual fee, I still might have kept it as I get that back in gas and Costco easily.  The Amerideals alone has paid me back over $200 ( discounts at Starbucks, several restaurants, Rie Aid) already.  It is definitely not the worst annual fee card at $.75/wk  I do understand the principal of the issue as well, especially if it is a nonrewards card as the OP has.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you.

@Anonymous wrote:

Try to call BofA's Sr. Credit Analyst at (866) 618-4585 and ask if your AF can be waived. If the first person you talk to won't do it, then hang up and call again for another rep. I was able to have the AF on my father's Platinum card waived thru that contact number two months ago.

Thanks.

Called this number. Two times.

First time, I got somebody telling me the usual bull**bleep** excuse -- it was on your agreement so I can't do anything.

Second time, I got a much nicer person that did send a request to the "Executive Office" to have this fee removed, telling me that they should follow up within one week. Definitly far from my expectations, but still much better than anything I got until now.

Wait and see.

YAY!

Took more than a week in the end.

I just got in the mail a letter in response to the inquiry, not telling much apart from advising me to call them. I called.

They did waive the AF on my account, permanently.

Thanks a lot for the tip.

It took quite an effort, but I'm now happy AND satisfied that it makes sense to keep this card open without the AF.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great news! Congratulations, @univvv!

Message 17 of 19
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

awesome news. i'm going to call and get them to transfer the CL on my card to my new Travel Rewards card and then close it...no point in keep both. 

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 18 of 19
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

just an update on this folks. i called in to cancel my card and when asked for the reason I told it was because the last 3 reps would not let me PC it to a non AF card (in my case it was the BOA Travel Rewards). surprise surprise...they said that it was possible to PC and that they dont know what happened on the last 3 calls. i highly doubt their policy on this issue miraculously changed in the last 3 months. so if anyone else is trying to do a PC, should try canceling as last result. 

before canceling, i had them transfer the available credit limit on the card being closed to another BOA card.

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.