Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Secured now Unsecured

tag
precision
Contributor

BOA Secured now Unsecured

Today I called BOA in order to see about unsecuring my BOA Platinum and I was able to do so after calling the right number.

I have read reports online of people being able to unsecure after 5 statements if BOA likes what they see on your AR reports and how you have been managing the card.  Initially I simply called the general card number and was told that the card could not be unsecured for one year.  After thinking about it I called the Secured Card number at 800-824-5895. 

The young lady who was clearly a fluent English speaking American citizen asked me the same types of questions that one would get if they were asking for a CLI and came back with an approval to unsecure my card and give me a CLI of $800 for a new CL of $1300.  Additionally, the $500 that I used to secure the account was literally instantaneously put back into my BOA checking.  I think that this was all accomplished with a SP as I got no HP reports from any services.

I then asked her about a product change to a cash rewards card and she said that I needed to wait a month for the systems to update.

My current FICO 08 scores as of today are:

TU 764
EX 725
EQ 744

AAOA 1.7
Utility 5%

I hope that this post and these data points can help someone else down the line.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BOA Secured now Unsecured

I was sent a offer for the Americard Cash Rewards about a month ago. Just interested to know your scores when you applied for the secured card. Trying to figure out if it's worth applying for.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@precision wrote:

Today I called BOA in order to see about unsecuring my BOA Platinum and I was able to do so after calling the right number.

I have read reports online of people being able to unsecure after 5 statements if BOA likes what they see on your AR reports and how you have been managing the card.  Initially I simply called the general card number and was told that the card could not be unsecured for one year.  After thinking about it I called the Secured Card number at 800-824-5895. 

The young lady who was clearly a fluent English speaking American citizen asked me the same types of questions that one would get if they were asking for a CLI and came back with an approval to unsecure my card and give me a CLI of $800 for a new CL of $1300.  Additionally, the $500 that I used to secure the account was literally instantaneously put back into my BOA checking.  I think that this was all accomplished with a SP as I got no HP reports from any services.

I then asked her about a product change to a cash rewards card and she said that I needed to wait a month for the systems to update.

My current FICO 08 scores as of today are:

TU 764
EX 725
EQ 744

AAOA 1.7
Utility 5%

I hope that this post and these data points can help someone else down the line.

Congrats OP, especially with an SP!!!

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the grad, and cli with an SP! 

Message 4 of 12
precision
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was sent a offer for the Americard Cash Rewards about a month ago. Just interested to know your scores when you applied for the secured card. Trying to figure out if it's worth applying for.

When I applied for the secured card I had no credit score available and my reports were essentially blank.

Message 5 of 12
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

I have had my BOA for more than 2 years now and it has not unsecured. I am planning to pay down my $600 balance when I am able and close the card.  I had the CLI link for months and the 1 time I used it, my increase was rejected for not enough funds in my BOA checking/retirement accounts. I had been a customer with them for more than 10 years. I think  I'm done with them. 

Message 6 of 12
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@Chrisla2077 wrote:

I have had my BOA for more than 2 years now and it has not unsecured. I am planning to pay down my $600 balance when I am able and close the card.  I had the CLI link for months and the 1 time I used it, my increase was rejected for not enough funds in my BOA checking/retirement accounts. I had been a customer with them for more than 10 years. I think  I'm done with them. 

Can't say I blame ya.  I know I tried a couple times for BOA and they shot me down both times.  I had nice cards & limits with other banks & CU's.  I gave up on them. No love for me & no reason to be that way!

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 7 of 12
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

@BungalowMo wrote:

@Chrisla2077 wrote:

Can't say I blame ya.  I know I tried a couple times for BOA and they shot me down both times.  I had nice cards & limits with other banks & CU's.  I gave up on them. No love for me & no reason to be that way!

Yeah....I tried again today just for good measure.  I wondered if trying for an new unsecured would work, but I think I'm done with BOA.  I've already given up on their checking acct...now their CC is leaving my wallet.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had a Bank of America checking and savings account for almost 4 years, what made you switch banks and where did you switch to?

Message 9 of 12
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

I switched to Navy Federal. in my opinion. Bank of America has a fee structure that takes advantage of customers. Their customer service has steadily declined over the years and they are very ambiguous with explanations.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.