Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Visa Signature Good or Bad???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOA Visa Signature Good or Bad???

I received a Visa Signature card in the mail today, saying my Platinum card had been upgraded to this no preset limit card.

Months ago there was a thread about this saying that no preset limit was not so great as it affected UTI by lowering available credit lines (not sure if I'm phrasing that right but most of you understand what I mean).

Anyway this is my largest CL at 9600 with balance at 3700.  I really don't want it reporting that my balance is my credit limit.

Does anyone know how BOA is reporting this?  I haven't called them yet to ask, wanted more info first, also if they are no longer reporting credit line should i ask to just keep my Platinum acct and who should I ask to talk to?

Lots of questions I would appreciate any thoughts.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

Re: BOA Visa Signature Good or Bad???

@Anonymous wrote:

I received a Visa Signature card in the mail today, saying my Platinum card had been upgraded to this no preset limit card.

Months ago there was a thread about this saying that no preset limit was not so great as it affected UTI by lowering available credit lines (not sure if I'm phrasing that right but most of you understand what I mean).

Anyway this is my largest CL at 9600 with balance at 3700.  I really don't want it reporting that my balance is my credit limit.

Does anyone know how BOA is reporting this?  I haven't called them yet to ask, wanted more info first, also if they are no longer reporting credit line should i ask to just keep my Platinum acct and who should I ask to talk to?

Lots of questions I would appreciate any thoughts.

The signature visa reports the high balance as credit limit. If 3700 was your highest balance, you are sitting at 100% util. So you might want to balance transfer 4-5k to your bank account then turn around and pay it off. Unfortunately you get nailed for the 3% fee, but its the only way I know of to quickly give the account a large high balance. Depending on when your next statement drops.

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion.

Message Edited by ocheosa on 07-18-2009 07:05 PM
[4/23] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 5, TU 1. AoOA=14.8y, AoYA=9m.
TCL $618K: Personal $512K, Business $106K.
Message 2 of 16
Scamp
Valued Contributor

angel, ocheosa is likely correct in how it will report and affect your util.

However, your best bet probably is just to call BofA and tell them you don't WANT a Sig card and to please product change you back to a regular CC.  This will confuse them no end, so be prepared to explain about the lack of reported credit limit adversely affecting your scores, and to possibly having to just nicely insist that you do know what you're doing and to please product-change you back to a regular CC.

If the frontline CSR's can't help, check the Backdoor Numbers and get one of there Credit Analyst types to help you straighten it out.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 3 of 16
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

Great suggestion Scamp. I thought of the same thing, but since BOA is also known for whacking limits, you've gotta tread cautiously these days.

[4/23] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 5, TU 1. AoOA=14.8y, AoYA=9m.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that advice, it is about what I had figured.  I guess I was hoping that in the months since I first heard about this that maybe BOA had decided to report it differently - especially since I didn't ask for the change.

After reading all the negative info and feelings on the forums about BOA and their decision to change all their rates from fixed to variable I am more inclined  to think about BTing to another card.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

One more question......for the credit gurus... if they report CL as high balance........ is it current high balance or highest balance ever?
Message 6 of 16
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
One more question......for the credit gurus... if they report CL as high balance........ is it current high balance or highest balance ever?

not a guru, but do have a BOA sig visa - answer is highest balance ever.
Message 7 of 16
Scamp
Valued Contributor

angel1208 wrote:

It should be your highest balance ever.  Some folks have nerves of steel and arrange a cash advance of  most of their limit, hang on to it until that high balance posts, then PIF right away, in order to get a high balance reported that's close to their real, unreported limit.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 8 of 16
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

@Scamp wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It should be your highest balance ever.  Some folks have nerves of steel and arrange a cash advance of  most of their limit, hang on to it until that high balance posts, then PIF right away, in order to get a high balance reported that's close to their real, unreported limit.

Hi Scamp. Not a cash advance - different (higher rates). BOA will allow a BT to bank account at 3%.

Message Edited by ocheosa on 07-18-2009 07:31 PM
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scary thought that but I suppose it is doable, at least the highest balance was more than the current balance but still puts the UTI too high.

Do you suppose the Credit Analyst would tell you if by requesting to change back to the Platinum card that would predispose them to CLD or RJ?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.