cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA closed all my credit cards, any way to reinstate?

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: BOA closed all my credit cards, any way to reinstate?

Sorry this happened.  I agree with other member there may have been other factors as well, unless closing your other cards put your overall utilization  way higher. I mean I have taken advantage of BT offers where that card had a very high utilization,  but my overall stayed relatively low so i didn't get a major score drop. 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I just found BOA closed all my credit cards. I guess the main reason is the sudden drop of my credit score. What happened is I applied a new amex card while already having 5 cards, called and told have to close one, did it and transfered all credit to new card. The problem was, I did not pay this card yet. In just a few days, my credit report show this card as 100% utilization rate, since the credit limit was zero on this card, and my EX droped ~70 points!

I hope the above would be helpful to those considering closing credit cards and moving credit limit: either pay it off before bank report new balance, or not moving away all credit limit.

I tried to call BOA but it seems there is nother they can do at this point. Now my question it, if my credit score got back next month, is there anyway to reinstate these closed cards? 

Do you need the cards.  Just open new B of A cards once your score pops back up and get a bonus for doing it. 

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I just found BOA closed all my credit cards. I guess the main reason is the sudden drop of my credit score. What happened is I applied a new amex card while already having 5 cards, called and told have to close one, did it and transfered all credit to new card. The problem was, I did not pay this card yet. In just a few days, my credit report show this card as 100% utilization rate, since the credit limit was zero on this card, and my EX droped ~70 points!

I hope the above would be helpful to those considering closing credit cards and moving credit limit: either pay it off before bank report new balance, or not moving away all credit limit.

I tried to call BOA but it seems there is nother they can do at this point. Now my question it, if my credit score got back next month, is there anyway to reinstate these closed cards? 

Do you need the cards.  Just open new B of A cards once your score pops back up and get a bonus for doing it. 

I could be wrong but if your cards were closed for AA, I doubt it’s going to be that simple to get them back in the future. 

Message 13 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

My question is who told you have to close a card to get a card? That sounds ridiculous.
Message 14 of 18
kugel
Valued Contributor

Oh don’t waste your time it’s a tradition with bofa they love doing it
They will not reopen it they love doing it for people
Message 15 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@kugel wrote:
Oh don’t waste your time it’s a tradition with bofa they love doing it
They will not reopen it they love doing it for people

@kugel - I'd venture to think that BoA hardly puts any "love" in taking such adverse action.  At the end of the day, plenty of institutions do this plus you've been around the forums to know that BoA isn't the only lender.   While it may be an unpleasant experience for an individual, it's a risk assessment and business decision, no "love" involved.

Message 16 of 18
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Don't they give you a warning that a card should be paid off before closing? Tough break.. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 17 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

There is no reason for a bank to care if a balance is on a card being closed. The bank is reducing risk, expects to be paid by the borrower.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.