cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA product change resulting in clawing back welcome offer?

tag
csryang
Frequent Contributor

BOA product change resulting in clawing back welcome offer?

Hi all,

Just wondering about some data points here--  

I have a BOA Alaska airline card and just met the spend last month and saw that they deposited 40k mile to my Alaska account end of October. If I were to product change this card into another BOA card, will 40k Alaska miles be clawed back?

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BOA product change resulting in clawing back welcome offer?

highly doubt they will let you PC a co-branded card.  I could be wrong.  Even if they did and you just met bonus i wouldnt suggest it personally in the first year as shows what motive was..To answer your question once in alaska account it is outside of them, so no way for them to claw it back if you were to cancel card, etc..

Message 2 of 8
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

highly doubt they will let you PC a co-branded card.  I could be wrong.  Even if they did and you just met bonus i wouldnt suggest it personally in the first year as shows what motive was..

Agreed. Co-branded cards usually can't be PCed. But even if you could do it, it would most likely be seen as churning/gaming just to get the SUB. I would hold off at least a year in any case. 

Congrats on a great SUB!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

BoA is normally flexible with PCs, but I've really only heard of PCs within their core card lineup, not so much cobranded cards.

Either way, as others suggested, I would not do it so soon after recieving the bonus. It just does not make you look good.

Message 4 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

The premise, that they would allow any PC from Alaska Air, seems unreasonable to me, based on my experience with other BofA cards. 

I had a university alumni card which I inquired about availability to PC, and several years ago the offer was to move it to a business version of AK Air. With no SUB.  Eventually moved it to Cash Rewards, then ended up closing it as not really used. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 8
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@csryang Howdy!  I can tell you from experience (as in about a week ago) that they won't allow it.  I knew they probably wouldn't but tried as I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.  I wanted to move from my Alaska Airlines to the Virgin Atlantic as Alaska exited our airport at the beginning of November...flying it last flight from here to San Diego.  

So that leaves me having to resposition myself to an area in which they fly now to take advantage of the companion ticket.  While it isn't that terribly hard to do I'd just rather not do it if at all possible.  But with their exit Delta has added 4 additional routes from my area so I figured if I could PC then I would.  But as I expected I got a big "no can do".

Message 6 of 8
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@csryang wrote:

Hi all,

Just wondering about some data points here--  

I have a BOA Alaska airline card and just met the spend last month and saw that they deposited 40k mile to my Alaska account end of October. If I were to product change this card into another BOA card, will 40k Alaska miles be clawed back?

Thanks!!

Will Chime in former BOA Credit Card Associate.. You can not PC co brand to regular card.

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 7 of 8
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

... Even if they did and you just met bonus i wouldnt suggest it personally in the first year as shows what motive was...

^ ^ ^ ^  This 200% ...

Bank of America has tightened down more lately on approvals in efforts to thwart SUB-chasers.  Like all banks, they want customers who want their cards to use them long-term.  But with the recent changes, a quick SUB followed by a closure might shut doors for you in the future with BofA.  You probably don't want to do that since they are the 2nd largest U.S. bank and you may want to do business with them again someday.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.