Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA reopen denied...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOA reopen denied...

I closed my BOA cc about 2 months ago (before I came across this site) to keep me from spending anymore money on it and since reading how bad it is to close accounts I decided to try to reopen the account. I called BOA and asked if they could reopen the account for me. I've always paid on time. I have one collections on my EX CR from a library fine. I just recently sent in the money for this to be taken care of. That is the only baddie that I have and it only shows up on ex. Well I was denied for a reopening due to a "pattern of late payments on accounts with other creditors." I reviewed my cr on score watch (EQ) and I only have the following accounts. (which is accurate)

Installment Loan-
$0 Balance
NEVER LATE

Installment Loan-
$0 Balance
NEVER LATE

BOA-
$998 balance
NEVER LATE

The collections doesn't show up on EQ but I know its on EX (checked free credit report). I tried to call BOA's customer service line today and the person I talked to seemed as if she had no idea what she was talking about and just gave me the run around. I told her that I had no other late payments with any other creditor other than the CA but that was being taken care of. She said that she couldn't help me and to try again in 30 days.

Is there anything that I can do other than wait until the CA falls off (which could take awhile- it is unique collections btw) Or is there a back door number I can call and speak with someone in the credit department?

**UPDATE** approved after calling and calling! Smiley Happy boa reopened I'm actually starting to like boa now

Message Edited by AlishaR on 01-03-2008 11:52 AM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BOA reopen denied...

Amex is the same way.  If you have less than favorable cbr information being reported, you don't qualify for reinstating the account.  You're a credit risk.  So as honorable as your intentions were, you'll have to wait to be eligible...unless your account was canceled in error.  But you said you meant to cancel the account, so I do not believe there's any way around it.
Message 2 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

But it might be worth calling back at a different time of day, hoping to catch a different person or supe. I've read that BofA has a somewhat glued-together staff due to all the other banks they've swallowed up over time.

My concern would be that if I waited a month, they would then say, "Oh, too bad, the window for doing that has passed." Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

I would also consider writting BofA a GW letter.  I have tried over the phone to deal with them and it was an umpleasant experience to say the least.

Honestly my experince with them was so bad that I would never deal with them again and would seek credit elsewhere.

I would try the GW letter though.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

yea I really hate boa. DH and I actually closed our checking with them too due to bad customer service. That is one of of the reasons why I closed the CC account. However, it is my longest opened account and I closed it before knowing anything about credit. Now that I know how the fico score works, I think it would be best to reopen it. I was actually just going to pay it down and sock drawer it and buy a pack of gum with it once every six months Smiley Happy I may try to call back next week and if that doesn't work, write a gw. If that doesn't work, all well... to hell with boa Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The same event happen to me in July when they decided to close out my account, even though I had a perfect payment history with them. I called in late August and asked them to reinstate my account and after checking my credit report they decided to reopen my account. In October, I applied for the new bank of America, American Express card. I was approved for seven thousand dollars limit. Bascially keep trying and don't give up. 
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

thats good to hear. I've been on the phone with the ca to have the library thing removed or at least paid in full. That's the only thing that is hindering me from reopening boa. I wish I wouldn't have closed it in the first place... lesson learned.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE!!

I kept calling this morning even though the collections hasn't came off yet (I'm impatient) FINALLY 10 minutes ago, got a hold of the right person and he looked over my credit report and said that since the collections ($45) was so small and it was the only bad thing on my report he would reopen my account!! sweet! thanks everyone!!! Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Woo-hoo! congratulations!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.